Saturday, February 25, 2012

Caturday!








  • People very often know months in advance they're dying. It starts as a vague detachment that even the patient will have trouble explaining or identifying it for what it is. I have heard them say things like, I knew this was coming- I've known for a long time. Months ago I started not feeling part of this earth. I wasn't sick or anything, I just knew I was slipping away.





  • I can say I'm known at work as having a pretty good knowledge of other cultures- especially those of our refugee patients. Recently another nurse came to me and said, Kevin, do _________ people normally hug you and kiss you on each cheek when they leave you? Knowing the people she was talking about while warm, are also reserved- especially toward whom they consider their superiors I said, Uh- no not a chance, why do you ask? Well, this guy who was helping me translate said, Let me show you how we say goodbye in my country and then he grabbed me and did that! I busted out laughing which caused the other nurse there with us to do the same. A supervisor dropped by and said, I know it's rude, but I've got to know- what's so funny? Breathlessly I said, This goof ball just let herself get molested by a patient!





  • Maybe you had to be there.





  • An old friends wife is dying of cancer.





  • I need a new suit.





  • I had a very tasty burger and fires from Whataburger in Decatur last night.





  • Fires?





  • Hammerhead

2 comments:

RPM said...

I bought my last suits at K & G. The price was right.

Opus #6 said...

I observe the dying pulling back from life. At a certain point, they stop using the telephone at all. Part of the withdrawal process.