Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Isadora Duncan



"I spent long days and nights in the studio, seeking that dance which might be the divine expression of the human spirit through the medium of the body's movement. For hours I would stand quite still, my two hands folded between my breast, covering the solar plexus… I was seeking and finally discovered the central spring of all movement, the crater of motor power, the unity from which all diversions of movement are born, the mirror of vision for the creation of dance." Isadora Duncan My Life, 1928


Isadora Duncan is considered by some the creator of the modern dance. After a very tumultuous life she was killed in a freak accident when the scarf she was wearing became entangled in the rear wheel of the vehicle in which she was riding causing her to be jerked out and killed nearly instantly.


Her last words were,"Je vais à l'amour" (I am off to love).


She was 50 years old.
Thanks to the kind reader who gave me a heads up up on who she was when I asked a very vague question about this interesting historical character.







3 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

To be so beautifully graceful....(Gia sigh's) Thank you for a beautiful vision to start my day!

el chupacabra said...

Gia Pet- It IS kind of nice isn't it? I just clicked to enlarge- very pretty and complex(like Isadora). It would make a nice poster

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.