Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday's Dispatch


  • "What else do you shave? Do you shave your legs?"- A recent text message I received.
  • "Wasn't that uncomfortable?" Last text message I received in response to this text I sent out-" I had my underwear on backwards for 17 hours before I just noticed."
  • Apparantly not too bad- it took me 17 hours to notice.
  • The odd thing? As soon as I noticed, I couldn't go another second without turning them around.
  • Hitler finds out Scott Brown wins!
  • Had to leave my patient barely able to breathe this morning- rare for me, but nothing I did helped. Part of it was I upset the apple cart by repositioning and turning to change and bathe her, but her comfort was really fairly marginal the entire night. All I could say was,"Please help her- do something for her." to my relief as I left. If she still needs my care tonight I hope I can make it better.
  • She was a patient whom I had when she was more intact and then was offered her case again later. After the first night I cared for her I was holding her hand saying goodbye she said," I enjoyed spending the night with you my love- come back."
  • Did I mention she's 90 years old?
  • When I came back last night there was nothing there- semi comatose/non responsive whatever you want to call it.
  • The Cults Edie (Ciao Baby) is still one of my favorite songs and I love it more every time I rediscover it.
  • I made a post from a funny comment in Cyrillic left by a Russian reader combined with translation by the genius hottie who graces this little blob occasionally- Mzchief. Oh, and set it to post January 1 2029. So stick around if you missed it the first time.
  • There was a documentary called The James Dean Story made shortly after his death if you get the chance to see it- don't.
  • Status: disheartened, disillusioned, disappointed, discomforted, discontent, dissatisfied, disconsolate.
  • No, not disfigured- still got my pretty face so that's a start.

5 comments:

YM said...

I had something to say but it popped out of my pea-brain the minute I started typing. It's probably for the best.

Discombobulated, disconcerted, disrupted, disused, but thankfully, not diseased.

When I visited my Grandma in a nursing home and saw so many forgotten people, it struck me how people do not remember that underneath the wrinkles and disabled bodies these were the same people whose hands had soothed and protected, whose hearts had loved and whose minds, in many cases, were as sharp as they'd been when they were young. People forget. You haven't.

Jane Doe said...

So you didn't go to the bathroom for 17 hours? Hmmmmm And such polar opposites as the picture you post about "creative" murder in a post where you talk with compassion about comforting a dying person? hmmmm again.

Anonymous said...

Please don't be depressed over your patient as she would not want you to be sad ,Rejoice in the life she led ! Blue Angel

MarmiteToasty said...

and you still got your amazing soul and your beautiful heart......

x

mzchief said...

* If you went 17 hours without urinating, you need to drink more fluids. I you failed to notice, while urinating, your undies were misapplied, more than likely, you hosed down the urinal and really should consider paying closer attention...*;)

* I love the Hitler finds out clips.

* How fortunate for your patient that your kind heart, gentle soul and tender touch were among the last contact she had with this world.

* Thank you for the kind words. I was blessed with good genes.

* No doubt you feel those things. However, I certainly hope you feel; blessed...you do have 3 healthy children, vital...you comfort the forgotten, dying and broken, loved and cherished...to see you one more time was among the final wishes of a dying woman, empowered...people in need request your help, intelligent...you know things, most, people do not know there is to know.