Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday's Missives



  • "Roller Furling Jib 135% Mainsail with reefing plus a spare main 2 Jib sheet winches 2 Halyard winches ."


  • The above from a sailboat ad demonstrates why guys who like them and guys who like real boats can never get along- I don't understand a word that dude said.


  • Above picture is Liemba a ferry operating on Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania. Liemba is an interesting vessel for many reasons not least of which is the fact after being built in 1913 she was scuttled in 1916 to the bottom of the lake where she remained until 1924. The Brits raised her in 1924 to begin life as a ferry- a role continued to this day. If you've ever seen Michael Palin's Pole To Pole you may recognize this craft. Also she was the inspiration for the German gunboat in The African Queen. Very close to 100 years of existence- even if not service the entire time- is still pretty amazing.


  • I noticed above a patients bed a while back a 70+ year old picture of my patients very young and beautiful wife. Thought it was interesting there were some pictures of them together in later life but, none while younger and this particular picture was large and very prominently displayed. While I was contemplating the possible meanings of this and was in fact making a note to put a thought about it here- he died. Was he at that very moment reunited with that very beautiful, young lady? Had he spent the last 3 years since her death thinking of little more while looking at that picture?


  • A family member recently said,"We've been married 60 years and 2 weeks." Kind of makes me sad that I'll never be able to say the same.


  • Unless I remarry tomorrow and live to 107 years and 2 weeks.





6 comments:

Opus #6 said...

When I belonged to a sailing club in my 20s, I was not experienced enough to qualify as captain for first mate, so I was the one hoisting the sails and trimming them. One of the more difficult tasks is hoisting the front sail, the smaller Jib. You need to hook each gromet onto the wire that runs from the front corner of the boat to the top of the main mast then pull the line using a winch to raise the sail. Unless, of course, the sail is Roller Furling, which means it can be stowed by rolling it around the front wire onto itself. Then it sits there rolled up and you don't have to unhook it and refold it and stow it underneath the deck EVERY TIME. The other winches are important, because when sailing, the wind is pushing hard against the sails and you cant trim them, or pull in on them to adjust them, without the help of these ratchet devices to wrap the lines, called sheets, around.

That is a sweet love story about the hospice patient and his late wife. He loved her.

el chupacabra said...

Op- Hey beautiful- thanks for the sailboat tutorial, really it was interesting. Although I play sometimes about blowboats I'm sure it's mostly jealousy.

Yes, that was one of my more memorable cases and I can rembember every detail of those hours we spent together. I hope they're in heaven together for eternity. Us guys aren't made to outlive our mates- um, probably ONE reason why we normally die before the women so I know those years were hard for him without her.

Ada said...

I am lucky enough to have some friends who have sail boats. Yes, I said boats as in more than one. Geesh. They take us every summer and every summer I am more confused by the terminology. We have a ski boat which got more use before we had a baby so now it is on Craigs list. I like the quietness and the calmness of the the sail boat. I also love to ski. So...maybe you can be a little of both. :)

I love a good love story especially when it includes a long marriage. Dang, that's hard work. You should definitely get a gold star if you make it that long. I would have to be 89 but my husband would only be 84. Yep, that's how I roll.

Anonymous said...

Scarborough RenFest has Kings...and winches, er wenches.

Shirley, nay, surely, I joust.

Or jest.

an Donalbane said...

Yeah, I'd have to be a hundred and xxxx...and five weeks.

Although I never of course expected Paul Harvey to live forever, I always aspired that we would be one of those "Parade of Roses" couples like he celebrated on his commentary broadcasts. We were nearing two decades.

It sure sucked when I found out that reaching such a milestone really wasn't my decision...

RPM said...

I thought it was The San Pablo...