Tuesday, January 26, 2010

California Dreamin'

The following are results of a poll conducted in California as part of a marketing plan to increase awareness of buying Californian products.



Surf's down: Only 24 percent of respondents report having gone surfing.

Those who live in Fresno (17 percent) and in Los Angeles (18 percent) are least likely to have tried it. If you want to find surfers, your best bet is to head to San Diego, where 36 percent of residents have hung 10 (or tried, anyway).

• Little mud-slinging: 21 percent of Californians have had a mud bath.

• Pining away: 63 percent of Californians surveyed have hugged a tree. And they're not ashamed.

• Udderly surprising: Nearly half (47 percent) of those surveyed said they had milked a cow. More than half -- 53 percent -- of those who live in Sacramento and Fresno had done so.•

Let your fingers do the playing: Most Californians (57 percent) have put black olives on their fingers as kids, and 28 percent have done so as adults. Central Valley residents play the fingertip-olive game most: 71 percent of Sacramento respondents reported doing so as kids, 42 percent as adults.

• All fired up: Nearly all -- 99 percent -- of residents have made or eaten barbecued meat or fish; 83 percent have barbecued or eaten barbecued fruit or vegetables.

• Some beluga, baby? More than half of Californians -- 57 percent -- have tried caviar. San Francisco residents are most likely to have nibbled on it (78 percent) while Fresno residents are the least likely to have tried it (41 percent).

• Pour it on: 70 percent of Californians have visited a winery. The whole state's gone "Sideways," it seems.

• Talking points: 71 percent of respondents have used the word "awesome" to describe something they've eaten; 67 percent of respondents have called someone "dude" on at least one occasion.

How well would you fit in the California peoplescape?

5 comments:

Mango's Madness said...

I failed the test. Except for having milked more than once.


Mango

Opus #6 said...

Dude! It would be Awesome if you would come and visit California some time. :-D

Ada said...

Never surfed...I'm a tiny bit scared of say big huge waves pounding down on my pretty face and a tiny bit scared of big sharks that want to eat my toes.

I would love a mud bath...should I put that on my list? Yes, yes I should.

Hugging a tree seems a little silly....just saying. I mean I love my trees like the best of them but come on.

No cow milking (although we had a cow when I was young but it was a boy) and I don't eat olives.

BBQ yes. Caviar no.

My ex husband's grandma was part of the Krug family. We stayed at the winery in Cali and had a fab time.

Awesome not so much...dude everyday. Every. Single. Day

mzchief said...

* Son surfs and it looks like waaaaaay more work than fun.

* Have had a mud bath and it is not all that it is touted to be.

* Never have hugged a tree. Did shed a tear when I saw all the huge, old oak trees, lying on the ground, after they had been pushed down for the expansion of 380.

* Have never milked a cow but have, countless times, milked a goat.

* I still, when no one is looking, eat ripe olives off of my fingertips.

* Anything that can be cooked I have eaten barbecued.

* I tried caviar for about .03 seconds. I put it in my mouth and immediately spate it out. I turned away from the group and wiped off my tongue with a cloth napkin. Not the proudest moment of my life.

* I have visited several wineries. I HATE wine but Hubby loves wine and wineries.

* I frequently use the word "awesome" and not quite as frequently use the word "dude."

* I have spent time in the northern, central, southern, coastal and mountainous regions of California and believe the U.S., as well as the state of California, would be far better off if the state, in its entirety, slipped into the depths of the Pacific Ocean, never again to be seen.

No offense to any of the fine inhabitants of California.

RPM said...

I spent a small amount of time in California. Enough to know it's a great place to visit, but I couldn't live there. Too many people.

Surfing at Malibu (where Jim Rockford's trailer was)is on my bucket list. I tried surfing at Black's Beach in San Diego but it was November and waaay too cold without a wetsuit. I damn near died from hypothermia.