Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Missives










  • Of the, times man has experienced, but which have gone away that I experienced personally- my service along the East-West border in Germany is among the best. It is among my earliest adult memories and thinking of that time evokes the most powerful recollections I have.





  • God, so innocent- I think I was what- 19? when I got there. Due to the closeness to the border and our mission it was made a very tough assignment by design. We ran 4-8 miles every morning, worked 12-16 hour days and were in the field constantly. I worked for the first 3 months without a day off.





  • In 1985 my unit spent 350 days in the field.





  • When me and Paul Spackman got off the bus a guy was there sweeping the street for extra duty. He said,"Welcome to Hell gentleman."





  • As most posts ours had been a German Kaserne during WWII. The facade of our headquarters building still had the Reich symbol above it with only the dirty bird cut out.





  • Our vehicles were Vietnam bring backs. My track had .50 caliber machinegun holes through the side armor that had been patched. Three on the left and two on the right- indicating one did not pass through the vehicle leaving us to imagine what it would be like to be stuck in that can with a 1 ounce chunk of metal bouncing off everything...




  • We called them Battle Taxis or simply tracks. German soldiers call them "Scheinewurfel"- Pig cube.




  • I wonder if Mary's Cafe just off post is still in business? She loved US western movie culture and horses etc.- even country and western music. She freaked a little when she found out I was from Texas.




  • And simply did not believe me about same when she found out I in fact owned no horses and no, I was never fearful of gunfights in the street since as a rule they hadn't been happening for over 100 years.





  • The warrior who thinks he will be the one to die is rare- any army, any time period. You always think it will be the other guy. There was a story out of WWII where a commander tells the troops, "2 out of 3 of you may die."- of course every man looked to his left and right and thought, Gee, you guys sure are swell- I'm going to miss both of you!




  • Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come. Carl Sandburg in 1936.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

i had a great friend that was in Germany in the mid 80's... most likely 1985 he was there... he was a tank leader - how do you dig my official military terms? ha

anyhoo, he and crew were going across a bridge draped across a deep ravine when the steering went out on the tank... over the side of the bridge they went...

he managed to get all his crew back inside the tank before hitting bottom, but unfortunately, he was still sticking out... broke his neck.. he lived... he's a quad now..but he does amazing things with his life...

your post made me think of him...of course, i think of him daily ...

an Donalbane said...

Chup, thank you for serving!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kevin for your selfless service to our country! You continue tonserve others in an amazing way! You're the best! Enjoy your day super dad!