Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Missives









  • This morning Zac and sister were fighting over a doll she was playing with first when he tried to draw me into their tangled web and officiate the struggle in his favor- of course. Instead I instead told him to,"Leave your sister alone and go play with your monkey." (his favorite toy monkey is what I meant).
  • I asked him whether the same monkey was a boy or girl- he replied,"Both".
  • A lot of adults are trick or treating these days- not just dressing up in the spirit of things and accompanying their children- They're going door to door and chanting,"Trick or treat smell of my feet..."
  • Ridiculous.
  • Contains: Milk, Wheat, Soybeans and Peanuts
  • Who would have guessed Twix bars are so healthy?
  • I heard on the radio before we left that pedestrian strikes by cars go up 25% on Halloween night. As I left work without time to change out of my black scrubs.
  • When I was little there used to be a lawyer who lived in a big, fancy house in Decatur TX who would hand out full size candy bars.
  • A true American hero.
  • God bless that man.
  • That house is kind of dump now.
  • There was also a little old lady who made those popcorn and caramel balls for everyone. She would still hand stuff out into her 90s.
  • Giver her a double helping of blessing God.
  • When I was young all the black people lived on the other side of the tracks. Every year my dad would take us over there trick or treating and I don't know why.
  • Also, when I was little I made my own costume out of a sheet by draping a sheet over my head and pulling a sweatband down over my head and around my neck to make myself a toilet paper ghost like you make in class. My sister in law failed to see the humor and made me pull it up around my head so the sheet would still stay on but, I wouldn't strangle myself which she was sure would happen somehow. When running from some house we had just pranked it slid down my face and I couldn't see and ran right into a telephone pole.
  • It was the first time I was ever knocked smooth out and still remember the gold colored stars (which looked more like lightning) swirling around my head afterwards.
  • Spellcheck offers "pranged" as an alternative to pranked.
  • I misspelled spellcheck- speelcheeck on the first try.
  • One year my oldest and my nephew did Halloween together. That night without securing their bags I told them they'd had enough and went to bed. In the morning I figured out they had eaten after bedtime the equivalent of I'm sure easily 2 pounds of candy. It was something of a self limiting thing though- you would have had to put them at gunpoint to get them to touch any candy after that.
  • For a couple of days anyway.

9 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Smiling at thie entire post :)

I was wanna kidnapped your gorgeous children and bring them home to live with me LOL...... I wouldnt even charge you the going hourly rate for lifetime care :) LOL

x

Opus #6 said...

They are too very cute!

an Donalbane said...

If I understand this correctly, you dressed up in a white sheet and your dad took you to the neighborhood on the other side of the tracks? Am I connecting the wrong dots?

Took my youngest trick-or-treating. We had a great time. While she was recognizable with cat ears and drawn-on whiskers, I was behind on the sidewalk with a full head zombie hippie mask, replete with round hippie sunglasses with 3" lenses.

Middle son went with his friends. Originally wanted to go as Andy Samberg or Justin Timberlake. Yeah, with the 'box'. He got into a row with his mother about that, but apparently gave up, knowing that I'd nix it as well, and painted his face as a zombie.

Ada said...

Great photos...I love that little Zac. Dang, he is cute. Good thing I don't live in TX I might just steal him. :)

We celebrated on Friday so Saturday night we turned the lights off and hid. And now I feel bad, if a 90 year old woman can make popcorn balls & hand them out I should be able to do the same. Ugh.

Although she would have to be related somehow for me to allow my children to eat homemade goodies.

Edith Bunker said...

Cute kids!! and WHAT is with the parents trick-or-treating?? I had some of that as well, very irksome. Brussels sprout truffles for them next year.

el chupacabra said...

marms- some days I'd pay YOU to take them.

thanks opus dear, I'm still working at building up my pack numbers to match yours.

don- ha. Remember being a pirate and a hobo and going over there. I was a pedestrian as the ghost on my side of the tracks (it actually happened on Church street in Decatur- I still know exactly where)

adrock- you'd bring him back! That little lady was the sweetest thing in the whole world. She died several years ago after nearly making it to 100.

Mrs B- I have no clue what created that little phenomenon- a tv show maybe? Probably?! Aha brussel sprout truffels- there's an idea whose time has come.

home staging Toronto said...

Hi. Adorable kids. Reminds me old times when our children were small and I walked with them during trick or treating. It was very hard to persuade them that they must not eat all the candies in the same day. But they always ate most of them secretly.

Take care,
Ella

mzchief said...

Daughter Chupacabra is one of the most beautiful ginger children I have ever seen. Jr. Chupacabra has grown a foot and changed so much, since the first day of school, I would not recognize him on the street. Of course, Mini Chupacabra still looks like the protype for Rubens' cherubs.

It would seem that the entire Chupacabra family enjoyed Halloween.
Well done!

YM said...

I am glad I was a kid when I was a kid and could actually eat the homemade popcorn balls.

You do have beautiful children.