Saturday, July 18, 2009

Step Aside Batman















A very cool law enforcement vehicle video can be found here. Some of the things that jumped out at me when I first heard about the Carbon Motors E7: There has never been a purpose built police patrol vehicle- they are all upfitted civilian vehicles. It is specd to a 250,000 mile lifespan and recycling of entire unit at the end of its service life is factored into purchase. 50 % of all LE injuries happen in or related to their patrol unit and while it is designed to be safer all around it is specifically designed for 75 MPH rear impacts. It has a diesel engine designed for a 40% savings over traditional units in fuel costs and Americans spend 4 billion dollars in fuel alone annually to power LE vehicles.




  • If I had the means I would invest in this vehicle now and heavily. Once it takes off it will make the dominance of the Crown Vic in previous generations look sick.

  • Carbon Motors was founded by former Ford execs.

  • Really surprised this is the first purpose built police vehicle ever considering their use by LE goes back 100 years basically.

  • Can't wait to see them on the street. Carbon Motors hasn't released a price only saying it will be competitive with other fully outfitted units already offered.

6 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Pretty impressive, but I do so love your doodle police cars..... our coppers just drive supped up BMWs........ I remember as a child though that our police 'panda cars' as they were lovingly called were pale blue and white ford Anglias LOL....

You might of seen one on the childrens telly programme Postman Pat.....

One girl at our Jacobs End of School Dinner and Dance (Prom) showed up in a doodle police car.... complete with what looked like a real doodle copper... it was quite the sight for over here...

Now, if your coppers are gonna all upgrade to those posh cars, does that mean I'll be able to pick up one of the ones they use now for a song?

x

an Donalbane said...

Does look pretty cool, but I'm seeing shades of Robocop, expecting Peter Weller to show up any second.

I'm a bit skeptical of the firm's claim that it's price competitive with a similarly equipped CV. Even though Law Enforcement's not a small market, I question how they can reach economies of scale without using a mass-market base platform. Maybe they'll do like the RV makers and use a standard base rolling chassis and add their own specialty coachwork.

insuranceguru said...

wow - I love this car and boy do I want one! Built for a 75 mph rear-end crash? Sign me up, I'll be safe from the texting driving boneheads. Funny - I was also thinking of Robo-Cop. Didn't they have something like the SUX 6000?

no more said...

ok the new blog is up..argh i hate starting over (muse) click on my new name to access it..LOL

Opus #6 said...

Hi. Thanks for the thoughtful and kind comments on my blog. You have a really cool blog. I will follow it.

I saw something on a comedy blog that reminded me of you. A witty answer by el chupacabra. Is that you?
http://failblog.org/2009/06/10/yahoo-answers-fail/

Opus #6 said...

Ooops. I spoke too soon. I can't follow you because my dashboard won't allow over 300 blogs followed. If you get a google friends connect gadget I can follow you then. in the meantime, I will add you to my friends blogroll on my blog. I see that i am on your blog roll and that is a great honor. Many thanks.