Friday, July 24, 2009

I Have No Use For Gulls But, Pelicans Are Kind Of Cool Birds

Look for my work in upcoming National Geographic magazines. Yes, I'm that awesome!



  • The smell of Hawaiian Tropic coconut tanning oil still drives me crazy.

  • Any drive over an hour so for me is a beating- Galveston= 5+ hours.

  • Worth every minute but, agony nonetheless.

  • Couldn't hardly walk when we got out of the car.

  • The night before I left I drove about 2 hours out west to get my oldest from church group. So if I had left right after picking him up that would have been 9 hours of driving easily.

  • Could have been well into Tennessee with that drive.

  • My impression: maybe not as exquisitely true there as other resort/vacation destinations but, seemed like a lot of rich folks and a lot of poor people with a middle class maybe not as well represented as either. I know this would probably be proven wrong but, that was my first impression in the Walmart off of Seawall.

  • Got Zac a t shirt that looks like it is blood spattered and has a bite out of the side and the image of a grinning shark saying,"Tastes Like Chicken!"

  • It's a very exclusive original I had commissioned especially for him- no one else in the world has one like it.

  • Quite tasteful I might add.

  • Every shop was selling baby sharks in jars for 16.99.

  • Fishing boats came real close to shore- as in 300 to 500 yards.

  • I got the Glenn Campbell song Galveston for the first time when I listened the other day. He was singing as a Vietnam war soldier hence the line,"I clean my gun and dream of Galveston..."

  • In my defense, literally had not heard it since the days of my youth.

  • When I was little we drove to Galveston in my dads old 1969 Ford LTD. I remember waking in the middle of the night to the sounds of the surf and getting out and the beach being literally covered with hermit crabs- you could hear them scurrying around everywhere.

11 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Pelicans are cool. I agree there. The kids love them. Have a great time!

Miss_proper said...

I love how the things that we remember the most from childhood are simple things. I am glad that you have sweet childhood memories.

When I was a kid we lived in west Texas and my grandparents lived in northern Louisiana, a 12 hour drive. My daddy was a truck driver so he was used to the drive but a family of 6 in a station wagon together for 6 hours with limited stops was NOT the best way to start or end a vacation lol!

MarmiteToasty said...

Only had one holiday as a child, and that was when I was about 10, and it was only about 6 miles from where we lived LOL.... and me dad left us all to get on with it after an arguement with me mum, left us there with no money so we had to go home after 4 days instead of the 10 days we were to stay LOL..... oh joy :)

Ive tried to give me lads wonderful childhood memories, things to take with them as adults and to share with their own children one day.... I hope I have succeeded....

I LOVE pelicans with a passion, never really seen them wild as such, except there is a famous one on one of the greek islands that sort of just hangs around the quay, and then whilst in Cyprus a few years ago, there was one outside one of the fish restuarants sitting on the sea wall that seemed to be a sorta pet...

As far as all that driving goes, when you meet the woman of your dreams you will be able to share the driving besides other things in life...me, well I love driving, not that Ive driven quite that far before...but I so desperately wish to drive either from one side of the coast of American to the other side OR drive around the edge from the top left to the top right.... one day soon I will do this, of this I know...

Zac T-shirt sounds grreeeat....what a little designer button he is lol

Whenever I read over the past few days where you have typed Galveston Ive read it as Gaviston, which is an upset tummy remedy LOL.....

Baby sharks in a jar? what real ones? how sad :(

cripes....novel over and out lol

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps......... you little star :) National Geographic... thats pretty neat..... you will have queues for your autograph soon...

x

Ada said...

tanning oil: crazy good or crazy bad?

Don't think I've actually seen a pelican in real life. But I would love too...they kind of seem like they may talk at any time. ha wouldn't that be great!

an Donalbane said...

I can remember hearing Galveston blaring from the radio somewhere along Seawall Boulevard, circa 1969-1971, on vacation down there with my parents and grandparents.

Learned in the '80s that the song was blacklisted by radio stations when it was first released because it was considered subversive, possibly anti-war.

Um, OK.

an Donalbane said...

Follow up to the Galveston comment.

The songwriter Jimmy Webb supposedly stated (source: Wiki) that he'd envisioned a Spanish-American War soldier ("while I watch the cannons flashing") when he wrote the song. At the time of the S-A War, Galveston was at its zenith, as it was considered the Wall Street of the Southwest.

September 8, 1900 changed all that, of course.

Interesting factoid: After the Great Hurricane, the City Commission and County Commissioners' Court appointed former chief U.S. Army Engineer Brigadier General Henry Martyn Robert to lead a board to present a plan for preventing future widespread damage. The result of the Board's work, of course, was the Galveston seawall.

The head of the board, however, is probably better known for having written a pocket manual about parliamentary procedure, first published in 1876.

You know it as Robert's Rules of Order...

el chupacabra said...

opie- thanks

g- no, not a good combo a 'back in the day' truck driver dad with an apparant bladder of steel!

marmsie- not quite as in to anthropomorphing animals as so many people do today but, pelicans are cool. like a goofy old friend. dream woman- ha. the baby sharks i dont know- taken from ones for the seafood trade? i'd be curious to know.

don- subversive- weird huh? i did not know the actual origins of the song. in part of the video campbell is actually wearing nam era fatigues and i understand in a contempory interview the nam soldier idea was his 'take' on the song and reason for its release. as always fun, interesting to hear from you you here.

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh stop with the 'ha' your still a young man LOL...... its when you get to my ripe old age that the dreams begin to fade and one realises this is it LOL

x

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh stop with the 'ha' your still a young man LOL...... its when you get to my ripe old age that the dreams begin to fade and one realises this is it LOL

x

el chupacabra said...

ada- hi dear-ie. how did i miss you? crazy in a GOOD way and nearly like nothing else can get me worked up in that way!

grrrrr, ruff, ruff, ahyooo, yip- well you get the idea.