Wednesday, July 23, 2008

An Animalistic Minute

These type of swallows come every year to build their nests under my porch. These are actually the grandchildren of ones who built earlier in this year.

I usually break the nests up as they build them, occasionally I'm lucky and they move on, usually though they persevere and get it finished when I'm away and I won't have the heart to knock it down.

The eggs are white with brown specks. The older birds will have 1-2 more eggs than first timers.

The older birds also build much better quality
nests and do it much quicker.

You can't see the littlest one but, it was tossed
out by the mother with a dead one. I
picked it up and put it back-he's fine. I can be so
kind.

I've learned how to imitate the sound they make
at feeding time. When I do all the babies sit up
on the edge and start chirping like crazy wagging
their big heads with their maws open for a
worm. I can be such a jerk.

No comments: