Monday, July 28, 2008

A Sad Memory


One of my best friends in college happened to be one of the most decent people overall I've ever met she also:
Was one of the smartest
One of the most patient and best teachers who always had time to help anyone with a math problem but, she specifically helped kids as a tutor.
Was a sunday school and vacation Bible school teacher
Very funny
Very pretty
She also weighed well over 300 pounds and this coupled with my friendship of her showed me a dark side of human behavior I've not been able to forget. After we parted ways following lunch one day I heard something 2 guys said as they went past me, I looked back to see them holding their arms out as if over fat and waddling back and forth mocking her. The next two guys walked toward her head on and when they got a few feet behind her started pointing and laughing. A group of three people- two guys and one girl then passed her and did the same thing.
Wow, I may be naieve but, I simply could not comprehend that adult human beings were capable of such gratuitous viciousness. No one would have that coming to them but, I simply cannot over emphasize what a decent person she was. She did nothing to deserve their mockery. She was only walking to her dorm from lunch.
Seven people encountered her who could have been polite said Hello and gone about their business, maybe stopped and got to know her even or just ignored her if nothing else yet they decided to do their part to destroy a decent human being.
The worst part? She realised what was going on and later apoligised to me, in case I was embarassed or if being around her had ever embarassed me.
That was nearly 20 years ago and the thought still makes me want to cry.

No comments: