Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday Digressions



I went to sleep last night watching The Night Stalker. Darren McGavin (left) played the title character. When the X Files first came out I'd tell people it was like Night Stalker for the 90s. They thought I was crazy. Today you simply cannot read an article about X Files or an interview with the creator that doesn't mention the NS influence when inspiration is discussed.
Vindication is sweet even when the subject could not be more trivial
I said I fell asleep. Passed out would be more correct. I got everything set up the way I wanted,had a snack and put a drink at bedside. Then after getting everything set just like I wanted I watched 10-15 minutes of the show-maybe. The next thing I know I'm sitting here at 0540 am.
When I was a kid it seemed if you set a soft drink down for more than 5 minutes it would become flat. Now, it's not all that unusual for me to set one beside the bed and drink from it in the morning and it will be just fine.
I had a dream someone stabbed me to death. I woke up gasping for breath,reaching for with one hand and swinging with the other at an invisible assailant. Rememorable nightmares like this for me, almost never happen.
Watch out,I make up words sometimes like,"rememorable".
I spoke to A man I went to college with recently. His son was murdered a little over a year ago when the place he was working at was robbed. I had not spoken to him in about 12 years but we had the warmest,friendliest converstaion you can imagine. I told him how sorry I was and what a waste his loss was. I nearly cried. I don't cry.
Offer me a billion dollars or the chance to go back in time just once to change history and I'd go back to find that murderer in his crib and smother the life out of him. I'm sure if I felt anything at all afterward it would be quiet satisfaction. I'm afraid, I meant what I just said.
I scare myself how dark I can be sometimes.
My niece who is here comes from a difficult background. I've had some fun teaching her about the difference between an original song and cover,what spoofs and parodies are,letting her order whatever she wanted at Chilis (she'd never been). She didn't own a camera,I gave her a pretty decent 35 mm.We've talked about her future and where she might go to college. She has now listened to the Toadies, Billy Squier, Journey et al-my mission is complete.
I surprise myself with how decent I can be sometimes.

No comments: