Sunday, July 20, 2008

Death Among The Gladiolas







This sweet looking young thing is what is commonly called a Copperhead. I'm not sure but,I think this is ancient Aztec for "He who lies in ambush between the Umbrella plant and the Gladiolas waiting to put a severe hurtin' on ole Chupa el Cabra"-but,I'm not sure.

They often live in wooded areas often hence the camoflouge but,there will always be a water source nearby.(like my water hydrant) They have a wide range of temperament but,instinctively freeze at danger-often giving rise to the impression they stand their ground-they will often just as likely freeze but,make little effort to attack.
I have no animosity whatever toward our legless neighbors of the woodland realm but dog gonnit bro. my flowerbed? You gotta go!


Copperheads are birthed live, not from eggs.

There are exceptions but,it seems poisonous snakes just look like bad news. Compare this specimen to a grass snake or whatever. A grass snake or a corn snake et al makes you want to cuddle up with it and eat Rice Krispy treats- this thing can just look at you and make you draw up inside.

Copperheads was the name of a Civil War era anti war political group.


I'm not afraid of snakes-I never kill them,I capture and release them but, after I interact with one everything makes me think snake! I walked around the house last night checking for other snakes. When I stumbled upon a water hose, inside I jumped a bit-yeah, like there are always 75 feet long,lime green snakes lurking the shadows waiting to take me down.


What was I thinking when scooping this bad boy up into the Mason Jar you ask? "Man, you are going to look like such a goob in the ER explaining how you got bit by a Copperhead on the thumb!"








No comments: