Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sleep Little Skunky

I couldn't get this picture to upload last night. After he ate the toad he went and lay down on that rock. I thought maybe he was getting poisoned by the toad. However, he was none the worse for wear today and I released him down at the pond earlier. He ate the toad from the back upward and stopped about halfway up the body- the preponderance of poison glands are around the head of the toad. I don't recommend it but, if you press the bulbous nodules right behind the eyes, a milky substance will shoot out- just right to be in the mouth of an attacker that comes head on. That may be coincidence or maybe they know to avoid that area. Maybe they are immune? Another thing I learned is that skunks stink- even when they don't spray. It was a distinctive, very musky smell that I'm familiar with from somewhere an old barn maybe?

No comments: