Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday's Dispatch






    Evelyn McHale who suicided from the Empire State Building in 1947. Her suicide note read, He is much better off without me. I wouldn't make a good wife for anybody. She would be in her 80s today. When I first saw this pic as a boy I was fascinated by it and it still stops me dead in my tracks and makes me wonder what she was like.




  • The Cars- Moving In Stereo
  • Zachary is 5 now.
  • I cannot recall a single job I did not get an offer for if I made it to an interview. When I made my first resume a cover sheet was standard, a section for hobbies and clubs etc. was recommended and a small headshot of yourself was common practice. Now, it's pretty much the opposite of all that.
  • "Why, yes, yes your honor!" Zac's response to my question, "Do you want more pancakes?"
  • It's my guess most people who own pools regret it and don't get nearly their monies worth out of them, but I would dearly love to own one and I'm very sure I'd use it almost year round.
  • An old saying: You'll never know how many friends you have until you own a pool or a boat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture leaves an impression (no pun intended). I can see why it affected you.

Anonymous said...

HAHA... on your last point add.. pool table!!

an Donalbane said...

The only time my family ever had a pool was in Vienna, Austria.

When we moved in, it was as green as pea soup. We drained the sucker, and since they didn't have HTH chems like you can get stateside, we bought chlorine bleach at the Apotheke - and scrubbed the epoxy coated, welded corrugated steel walls of the pool until it was blindingly white - filled it up, and enjoyed it for exactly three weeks until it was in the condition found.

I've never wanted to own a pool since.

I would like to have a boat, along the lines of an Old Town kayak.