Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts

In the 50s a game show gave away a honeymoon trip to Meramec Caverns aa a goof/challenge. If you stayed the 4 nights you got a trip to the Bahamas- the catch was you had to dress like cave people for the tours. Heck I would have been fine with the 3 days and 4 nights in the cavern.




Caverns if they were known to people during prohibition seemed to always have been used for gambling and drinking- why? You could be just as isolated at a barn in the same area and you wouldn't be trapped like rats when the G Men came around. I could be convinced there is a psychology involved- hiding your sins/crime etc. from God and The Man.


Mr Big the hermit crab who won't die. He is nearly 5 years old.


The old airplane on a restaurant trick eh?


The geegaw souvenir we brought back from Meramec Caverns when I was a boy was made of cast pewter. The analog today is a lucite block engraved on the inside with a laser.


OK tiger easy there- calm down. Don't give yourself an aneurysm.



This exhibit is closed. It should remain as an example of ugly, impractical architecture that was thrown up in days gone by.



Fake wood from recycled plastic used to build friend-girls mom's balcony and staircase. It has been up for 6 years and looks good and is as solid as a rock.







  • Many years ago an acquaintance asked me to sell him a motorcycle I owned offering me 50 dollars and "an old .410 gauge shotgun that was my wife's grandfathers." I agreed since I had already given the motorcycle once to a friend who backed out on me and told him to leave the money and gun with my mom as I wouldn't be home and take the bike. When I walked in the house later my mom was furious and pointed to a sawed off shotgun on the dining table next to a small pile of cash. The gun was about 18 inches long and pretty much was the embodiment of illegality. When it crosses my mind I often wonder what would have happened if a cop had stuck his head in the door of the house that day. You mean you accepted an illegal gun from someone who other than a name you know nothing about and hadn't spoke to in over a year before the day you accepted said gun from him- the ownership of which is a federal offense?
  • I love all the Naked Gun movies although it's a little hard to watch OJ who after his pro football career and before his pro double murderer career stole the show in those movies as detective Nordberg.
  • My nose is hurting.
  • An aquaintence whom I know to have had an old drinking problem is drinking again and I really don't know what, if anything to do about it.
  • Lost In Space is on Hulu. I'd never seen the pilot episode before.
  • I understand from a radio blurb after her conviction Jodi Arias murder stabbed an ex boyfriend. Will somebody explain to me why we should care what she otherwise did that should make us so obsessed with that case?

No comments: