Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday's Digressions





    Magnet used to disable the internal defibrillator in an expiring patients pacemaker.






  • Just finished the 1997 Pierce Brosnan Robinson Crusoe movie. It's on HULU. Watch for the modern beach rules sign at about 1:02. 20. I read reviews bagging on it for not being faithful to the novel. My impression was the opposite- it was the closest adaptation I've ever seen.

  • If I could only have one mid ranged priced, chain restaurant to eat at for the rest of my life and eat there every day for every meal it would probably be Olive Garden.

  • I would say Logan's, but I'd have a heart attack in a years time since I would have steak, grilled shrimp, sauteed mushrooms, mac and cheese and about 4 pounds of their bread every single meal.

  • Zachary is playing outside with his dump truck and little shovel and I'm sitting on the steps watching him.

  • The only way it could be any better is if I were sitting on a big bag of money.

  • When a patient has a defib type pacemaker we usually disable the defibrillator as the person is expiring. This is done by placing a magnet to the patients chest over the pace maker. We often have trouble getting the magnet when we need it so we always try to keep it for the next patient. Oddly, an old memory is the family who wanted to keep the magnet and in fact got a little perturbed when they realised the nurse had removed it after the death and placed it in his backpack. I'm still perplexed over why they wanted it- as was the nurse who asked me,"Why on earth would they want that?".

  • The 60 gallons of water I used today for bathing would after I used it be much cleaner than the water to which 2 billion people on the planet have access for drinking.

  • People could really make a bundle/go broke if they had water to supply the cattle who are being sold at fire sale prices by the folks who do not have water.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

The 60 gallons of water I used today for bathing would after I used it be much cleaner than the water to which 2 billion people on the planet have access for drinking.

Erlich, you're a pig!

an Donalbane said...

OK, I don't know if that last bit worked.

The reference was to have been to St. Elsewhere. I thought it was Ehrlich's (Ed Begley Jr.) character who had a running theme about drinking bathwater, but it may have been Fiscus (Howie Mandel) or Axelrod (Stephen Furst).

Hell, it was the '80s - I've slept since then. But I couldn't find anything about that particular reference on the interwebs, either.

RPM said...

OK, telling my country roots here. My grandparents would share bathwater... with everyone.

The most I ever saw was 5 people use the same tub of water, but you didn't dare drain that tub. You could add to it, but you didn't drain it.

Granny also trapped the water from the washing machine om a pan (it was on an open drain into the pasture) to do her hand washing.

They knew just how precious resources were.

RPM said...

"om a pan"

That's "in a pan".