Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday's Dispatch

Woody's- the sign says The Best Burger In Texas! The sign lies.




  • After hearing about how great the hamburgers from Woody's in Mineral Wells are for literally the last 20 years I finally had one this afternoon. It must be a drinking thing- as in if you had sat around drinking all afternoon in that smoky bar then had one, it might seem great. It wasn't the worst thing that ever happened to me in my life, but it was very far from the best in Texas as the sign in front promised. It was somewhere between a school cafeteria burger and a Dairy Queen Hungerbuster. Any fast food burger except for a Big Mac is as good or better. My friend felt so bad after he talked us out of Mesquite Pit to go to Woody's he gave me the money I gave him for my part of the bill back.

  • I felt so bad- I took it.

  • The reviews I found online said things like,"Great lunch stop. Some of the best burgers in Texas!" and "burgers are the best you've ever had!" It's impossible that they were not written by the owner/workers- either that or people really need to get out more often and come to Weatherford and eat at Skinny's or Chad's.

  • It was a very odd experience.

  • Zachary disappeared from me in that clothing outlet place- literally. As in I turned and he was gone. I screamed and hollered like a crazy person until I remembered the ride toys out front in the foyer...

  • My guts are still in a knot from the adrenaline dump of losing him for that maybe one minute two hours ago.

  • The Wise County Reunion is going on this week. I'm looking forward to it less than normal for some reason.

  • I'm drinking more Cokes than ever before and exercising maybe 10% of normal- a recipe for success if there ever were one.

6 comments:

an Donalbane said...

I've driven by there bunches of times, never eaten there.

Skinny's seems like it'd be a good place.

What's the word on Chad's since the ownership change?

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don-Skinny's is really good. Chads is still supposed to be great although I haven't eaten there since the change. I always got an asiago bacon cheese burger with mushrooms and extra onions.
Mmmmmm asiago-ie

RPM said...

Woody's was decent back in the 50's - 60's when Fort Wolters was open, but it was never "World's Greatest". However, it was the first place off base where you could get a cold beer and something to eat, so maybe some perspective is needed.

I remember going there in the late 60's when I was a kid tagging along with Dad out honkytonking. Didn't think the burger was that great back then either.

RPM said...

The last "great" burger I had was at Hurd's in Jacksboro. Claude retired a couple years ago and his son took over. Hope they are still as good.

el chupacabra said...

RPM- Ah, the legendary Hurd burger. I hear they're still great, although I've also heard the long term prospects for it staying around are doubtful.

Anonymous said...

Loves me some Skinneys! Charlies Project X is still my #1 though.