Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wednesday's Digressions































  • Is there any chance Scare Tactics is a real- non scripted show? If you are not familiar, this show sets up scenarios with the help of the victims friend to scare them, film the results and boost ratings ostensibly on the shock value of terrifying another human being half to death who has shown up at the site believing they are getting work at a part time job. Part of me wants to believe but, I'm skeptical thinking they would not only be standing a good chance of getting sued occasionally as any business venture might but, they would be getting sued essentially every time they set someone up- or even be getting scammed themselves by people working together in the setup and then suing after the episode is filmed. Anyway, this one is greatness real or not and if it's not real- the guy deserves an Oscar for his face off with the Rat Monster!

  • A patient I had once entered hospice services 3 months after he was married.


  • Ever noticed how Alanis Morisettes song, Isn't It Ironic? contains no ironies- it's essentially just one bummer after another, some epic bummers even but, nothing ironic.



  • Interestingly, although I'm sure not an original thought- it is ironic, there's nothing ironic in that song.

  • The baby talks in his sleep and has since he could vocalize anything.
  • I'm learning: demand a lot of those you are responsible for and don't expect too much from others and you will get disappointed a whole lot less. Also, no one else is responsible for my happiness and I can't make anyone else happy.

  • I'm wanting to go back to Galveston- badly.






10 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Nice pictures - any captions? I checked out the clip for that show...
dude was seriously scared, I cracked up out loud at work! (Not a good idea when my partner is answering a 911 call!)oops ! Thanks for the laugh though!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures!! Galveston tends to have a hold on you. Even when you have been away too long you always feel like you are back "home" when you get there. Maybe it is just the relaxed laid back atmosphere that is so mesmerizing. Your own happiness is very important! Don't neglect it!

YM said...

You know, that's a really hard lesson to grasp. I get the part about being responsible for my own happiness but I have trouble with feeling responsible for other people's happiness.

I think I need to go to Galveston. I've been there but only for an overnight stay and I didn't see anything but the hotel room.

I've never heard of that show! The link to Satan's Baby didn't work but the rat boy one was pretty funny.

mzchief said...

Happiness is a personal choice which is one reason it is our responsibility, to those whom we love and love us, to CHOOSE to be happy.

Miss_proper said...

Completely off topic but I wanted you to know that reading your blog and seeing your strength and compassion has inspired me. I start volunteering at a hospice in ft worth tomorrow.

an Donalbane said...

I am hoping to go to Galveston sometime this Fall.

MarmiteToasty said...

I know expect nuffin from anyone...... I got to soft this past year, and all I did was get hurt...... so back to how Ive been all my life, and thats expecting nuffin from anyone but myself...

I love piers by any description.... rickety old posh falling down..... I just love em...

great photos....

x

Ada said...

good photos. fave: little crab like thing and tire track/footprint in the sand.

hate, hate, hate to be scared.

3 months? super sad.

Opus #6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
an Donalbane said...

Chup - which pier is pictured? Is that upcoast from the Flagship or down closer to the Wal-Mart?

I heard that the driveway of the Flagship collapsed/was torn away from the seawall, and that the hotel will probably, finally, be torn down. Even in March 2008 it looked pretty seedy. I stayed there on Spring Break '79 - was pretty nice back then.

Am debating whether to check out Dickens on the Strand - I've wanted to go for years. My kids are with me that weekend and it's my birthday, so maybe my present to me could be to take the family down there.