Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Surviving Cold And Flu Season







  • First off we need to establish a disclaimer: none of the following is meant to replace to advice of your physician. I may or may not actually know anything about colds and flu and in fact as far as you know- I may or may not even be a nurse. Regardless of the subject I tend to ramble on like I know what I'm talking about and in some circles I'm considered mentally ill or at least mildly retarded.



  • Always get your flu shot. If you have to pay for it the most you should have to pay is 10 dollars and there are still going to be places I'm sure who'll do a drive through service and you won't even have to get out of your car. You won't get the flu from it- it's impossible. Since I started taking the flu shot I've only gotten it once. This happened in the same year they missed the prevalent strain and a lot of other people got sick worldwide. Only 30% of the US population gets the vaccination which is a shame since it's statistically 100% effective and up to 65,000 people are know to die each year in the US from flu or the secondary infections it causes.




  • So, you got your shot but, are starting to feel bad anyway? Regardless, these tips may help for that errant flu or cold. Any of your own? Please mention in the comments.




  • The first thing if the flu is suspect is call your doc and get one of the flu treatment drugs. If cost is a factor ask for some of the older drugs instead of the newer, sexier ones- they are essentially just as effective, you may have to take two tabs a day instead of one, or take a little longer etc. but, they will be just as effective.




  • Nothing can replace rest, fluids and nutrition.




  • Don't wait until you nearly can't move and are ready to fall over dead to stop what you're doing and rest. Put in the first season of Arrested Development or whatever floats your boat and lie down as soon as you start feeling bad.




  • Have ice water handy and sip on it often to keep hydrated and the junk in your throat loosened up but, also drink OJ, Gatorade or whatever product you like that will have some minerals/ electrolytes. This will also keep you from getting bored with water and help you drink more fluids.




  • You're laying around more- this is how people get pneumonia and die. Before you lie down and as soon as you get up do at least four series of deep breathes in and cough them out as forcefully as possible.



  • Foods? Any comfort good will make you feel better and will be easier to get down. Chicken noodle soup is still good because it's packed with fluids, carbs, some protein and some electrolytes. Some people say really follow those cravings. I sometimes crave salads when I'm sick, plain lettuce and tomatoes with lots of sea salt- don't know why but, something about it makes me feel better.



  • Weird thing about that? I know I don't eat enough vegetables in my daily diet.



  • Hot baths are good for aches and your spirit.



  • Lay around on the couch or recliner- not your bed, leave it for actual bed time.



  • If you take a NyQuil type product read that warning label and don't take acetaminophen or Tylenol products with it- there is a already a full dose in every dosage cup.



  • Alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen for fever.



  • I always get asked about vitamins. Most Americans don't get enough because they don't eat a balanced diet. Anything besides a multivitamin and maybe some extra c occasionally is a waste- literally as in you pee it out. The ones which aren't water soluble can cause health problems when you take too many.



  • Hope this helps someone. Did I forget anything?

10 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Tissues, you forgot tissues :)

x

el chupacabra said...

marmsie- yes of course the lotion-ie kind!

Brown Eyed Girl said...

I swear by tequila! :)

Well, it makes me feel better anyway. Especially when I take it with nyquil.

Opus #6 said...

i was feeling all warm inside until I got to the end of the note. Then i got feverish.

Gia's Spot said...

Yeah would you mind tearing off that note page, erasing the bottom line and sending me a paper airplane? ;*)

el chupacabra said...

op- sorry for the let down. belive me if you knew me personally you'd get used to disappointments!

gia pet- it's headed northeast as i speak...

el chupacabra said...

b.e.g.- ha- yes that would help. when i was little and sick my mom would give me a dash of whiskey some lemon juice and sugar when i was sick and coughing my head off.

mitzi.reaves said...

Tomato soup, Momma always gave me tomato "Cup of Soup", with saltine crackers. Still to this day want tomato soup when I am sick.

el chupacabra said...

m.r.- i did know that- very cool. for me it was always the salad i mentioned, very salty- no dressing.

Ada said...

It's my first year for the flu shot...little bit scared. Don't know why. May be because my kids are getting them too. Do you give them to your little sweets?

I'm bookmarking this so that I can pull it up when I get sick. Or I might just fake it...rest, movies and chicken soup sounds delightful on this cold Northern day.