Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday's Missives




  • One of my new favorite foods are Nissin Chow Mein noodles. They are good and cheap with spicy chicken being my favorite. I carry a couple in my backpack (they are very light) so I always have something.
  • Another new favorite: Arby's Chicken Salad Sandwich.
  • Arbys reminds me of a person who goes out and gets plastered on cheap fortified wines once a year- why do we do things like that to ourselves?
  • Chicken Express is supposed to have some pretty good catfish.
  • Is there anything better than Chicken Express tea?
  • Have there ever been Po Folks restaurants in Texas?
  • Another place with epic sweet tea.
  • I like having friends who don't care what they eat so we can sometimes glunk out on good (or bad) foods together.
  • There was a restaurant in Weatherford TX called Goodnight Cattle Company Steakhouse (I think that's right anyway) man, it was great. They served grilled asparagus that came out as 10-12 inch stalks.
  • The owner has been accused of burning one of his other stores for the insurance money.
  • I'm thinking he's wishing for a do over.
  • My last patient died with me holding her hand. Her husband had to leave the room when I told him she only had minutes left and pulled a chair up to her bedside for him to be with her as she died. He said,"I can't take it. I don't want to be here for that. I'll be on the porch."
  • I have no idea how many people have died with me holding their hand.

11 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Your transition is funny, ending comment not. You must be a very caring person to have held so many dying hands! **hat tip**

Anonymous said...

Yes, there have been Po Folk restaurants in Texas.
Your patient was very blessed to have your hand to hold as she passed from this life.
You must have been hungry when you wrote this blog. : )
Now you've given me a craving for a really good chicken salad sandwich! I like my chicken salad with grapes & pecans on a croissant. Yummy!

el chupacabra said...

Hi g- i know- sorry, i was delirious with hunger and low blood sugar when i wrote that post.

anon- arby's cs sandwiches have grapes and pecans and comes on wheat. it's not the greatest just a good alternative when you're doing fast food.

Opus #6 said...

Oh, gosh, Chup. That man sounds like my soon-to-be-ex. He wasn't there for me during labor and delivery, either. Sure, he showed up. But he wasn't THERE. God bless you in ministering to the sick and dying. You must have a huge supply of 'good points' on God's chalkboard.

I think there is a Po Folk's restaurant on Beach Blvd. near Knott's Berry Farm. Fun stuff!

el chupacabra said...

op- hi. i feel your pain and that shouldn't have happened. what a waste and loss- for him. this man though did everything else totally right and good. his nerves were frazzled and he was at the end of his rope. the patient was comatose his being there wouldn't help her but, would have distressed him unduly. i was only relating what happened and hope it didn't look like any type of judgement- i had no sense of that at the scene.

thanks for always recognizing my meager efforts.

PS i have TOO many demerits to work off! Ha.
;)

MarmiteToasty said...

My friend that lives in Fort Worth Texas sent me a cook book for my collection last week.. its called Reata Legendary Texas Cuisine...... I LOVE it, but you doodles sure do eat funny things lmfao......

If it was cheaper to eat out over here or get take aways, I would do it more often.... besides once a year or so LOL.... I cook from scratch every day...

Opus, I understand the 'not there for ya husband' LOL.... Ive learnt through life that one can only be their for oneself....

(((Chupa)))) just hugs and fanks for being there.... they had the best for last....

x

el chupacabra said...

mars- Reatta is a good place to eat. come to Texas and i'll take you there for lunch. if i win the lottery i'll take you there for dinner!

MarmiteToasty said...

If I ever come to Texas, which is a big probability, it would be my treat, and I would take you and the nippers to breakfast, lunch and then just us to dinner there LOL.......but you would have to order cos I have no clue as to what some of the grub is lmao..and check under the table for snakes and things....

x

an Donalbane said...

According to the State Comptroller's website, there was a PoFolks on the south side of the Ridgmar Mall site in FTW. I never ate there, but remember seeing it - it closed in April 1984. Where's the time go?

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/staxpayersearch/salestaxpayer.do;jsessionid=0000USvAA2RQqyzCWKmLCLw19LS:-1

It appears there were once several dozen PoFolks outlets in Texas- maybe they went the way of Gibson's in the Wal-Mart era. (BTW, I was in the Gibson's in your town three or four years ago - kind of a neat nostalgia, I'd worked in the one in Grand Prairie in high school, but from what I could tell, the W'ford store is really a glorified Ace Hardware.) Back in the day, though, Gibson's was a pretty widespread chain.

Ada said...

it was all food, food, food and then bam. ok. switch. sad. sad switch.

makes me sad for the man...he loved her that much.

Mango's Madness said...

Chup,
Thank you for your compassion and ability to care. We need more of you on this earth.
Po Folks was a semi decent rest. that serve what they called country cookin. Not bad, but I do not miss it.

Mango