Sunday, May 11, 2014

Scarborough Renaissance Festival 2014


  • It is strange for us wait so long but yesterday we finally made it to SRF for this year.
    At the ticket booth
  • So hot and sooooo humid.
  • There are more furries there every year.

    I saw this girl later sitting at a picnic table- ready to die of a heat stroke.
  • There is hope for this world after all- my spell check still has a problem with furries.
  • There were more black people this year than I have seen there in the past. Usually you saw more black children with obvious foster parents but there were lots of black families and young people yesterday.
  • That place needs lots of work. It degrades every year and shows little to none on the improvement/maintenance scale.
  • People were getting stuck left and right as we were leaving. As you nose your car into the parking area the land slopes down- good for overall drainage- not good for the 90 % of cars that are front wheel drive.
  • I almost bought a didgeridoo- literally, as in I turned back with an offer in mind for one but punked out. Actually, I'll get one when I find the right one.

    Taken as he was about to launch into some banter with another worker that included the phrase, In the words of the immortal Ron Jeremy...
  • We had watched the Iris and Rose show a time or two (or parts thereof) but I had no idea how crude it was. To my shame I sat through multiple horrible Jew jokes. In my defense the first was more/less tame and was followed by a Catholic priest joke and then a dig on men- so, I might have been excused as thinking they were going to goof on everybody equally but no- there was 3 cruel/crass Jew jokes for every one of whatever. Some people were very uncomfortable as it was an uncomfortable situation for anybody with a sense of decency. In the performers defense (if there was one) a lot of the bad jokes were from the audience.

  • Some things you don't do- because it is rude if nothing else.
  • A lot of the normally and apparently this year also well cared for animals were sick. I don't know if it was something going around among them or the recent rain, high heat and humidity or what but several were sick and obviously so.
    They had a unicorn! I want to believe.


    Sickly duck was sickie

    I could  have paid the 3 dollars to see Romulus the world's biggest ass but it was more fun to sneak a peek through the crack in the fence

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

We were there last weekend - I think there were areas of deferred maintenance, but I also saw some signs of new construction or improvement to existing structures. The entrance feature, though, looks like it's ready for a facelift.

Didn't see the black bodybuilder dude who's usually decked out in chainmail. I remember taking the kids' picture with him years ago.

We caught a couple variations of shell/cup games (both were good, but the one that ended with coconut under a hat was amazing); the Carillon (he only played a two-song set); the bagpipe show; part of DJ & Miguel's act; Donal Hinely's glass harmonium; Ima Hogg & Marquis' untrained dog show; and the Rat Circus (the chick was really cute, even if the rodents' performance was lackluster). We missed the birds of prey - timing just didn't work out.

Daughter twisted my arm to pay $5 for her to ride the heffalump around about a hundred foot course - I guess I'm a pushover that way.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don. Missed the buff dude at the front too- was surprised when I didn't see him. He is friendly and cool.

We missed a lot as we started late and timing wasn't right for everything. We have oddly NEVER caught the Rat Circus act. We will make it a priority next weekend.

Doggonnit- by the time we got there way to hot for the birds of prey- they would have been as miserable and low performing as me so I passed