Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday's Dispatch

  • I just returned from a meeting for work. What a whippin'. Literally- as in I walked out with my head down and dragging my feet as I schlepped out of the conference room.
  • Chupacabra 69: the password I used for my pre and post tests.
  • Chrome 69: the call sign of my flight out of Iraq. Of all my odd, obscure memories I'll carry to my grave that one may be first and foremost.
  • It was maybe the best call sign in the history of ever. I wondered if the pilots dreamed it up or it was assigned?
  • Morphine is one of my all time favorite bands. Their sax player could loop breathe to play as a didgeridoo is played which I had wondered in the past if it might be possible so it was interesting to hear it for the first time.
    Baseball that met an early end to a mower's blade. I presume the grass growing out of it was sprayed from a Hydromulcher but I don't know. The twine you see is actually to deaden the ball. There is a rubber core to make it more lively. Without the twine if a batter of any real power touched it- it would fly out of the park- every time.
  • My sister in law played for the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. 8,000: the number of dollars she sold her sax for years later.  The details are lost to time to me but as I recall it was a rare model made of or plated with silver and was manufactured in the 20s.
  • A woman should not play the didgeridoo. Occasionally you see a video on the yoochoobs of a woman playing with a well known male player. The purpose of the video is to be provocative- to try and stir up trouble. In the abodiganal society of Australia the didgeridoo has religious significance and women are banned from playing. For a woman to play it would be like a non Jew to use a Menora to light fireworks or a non Christian to use a crucifix as a door stop. Maybe there was no ill intention. Maybe you aren't going to Hell over it but it is rude and disrespectful if nothing else.
    This corpse was so skulled out at Scarborough, by end of the day I doubt he knew his name

    There is a sculptor there who offers pretty good, very reasonably priced sculptures. I may buy one for a piece at my house and use it as a marker for my grave in anticipation of my inevitable but hopefully very distant death.
  • Something I have done that you have not: used hand lotion to lube the knives of an office paper shredder. The crazy thing? It works way better than the purpose made oil.
  • I bet James Franco is cooler than cool as a person and can be a good friend.

No comments: