Tuesday, May 27, 2014

It Is Only Tuesday

  • Godzilla was very good. We watched it in 3D/Imax. The great thing? Even though I know Godzilla was CG there was some cool man in a rubber suit moments. They also made sure he was still a sympathetic character.

    When the Fed Ex guy  came to my door he was in an unusually good mood. I blame this cheery packaging.

    Their figs are great, the dates wonderful but their persimmons are not so amazing- which is why they're missing from the pic.

    No, he wasn't in the box but that would have been cool.
  • Another really good movie: The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. I haven't read anything but I'll guess the story was a favorite of Stiller's. Gosh, just a really, really good movie in the way they say no more good movies are made and the music was literally fantastic.
  • X-Men- I'm sorry but unless you're Wolverine nobody cares.
  • "New terrorist plans are discovered on  a regular basis all the while North Korea develops its nuclear weapons." A bullet point from some outdoor survival school that was linked to an outdoor site I was looking at earlier. Good grief.











  • The Adventurer's Handbook: what I'm reading.
  • Although I haven't checked the remaining storage I'm sure my Nook is less than half full at 92 books.
  • The rain yesterday (05/24/2014) was refreshing, good for the wildlife and plants but did literally nothing for our lakes. My sweet rain gear from REI is en route as I write this.
  • Among my recent decisions my decision to not only take some time off but also combine it with the Memorial Day Holiday was among my best. With the extra hours I worked last week and Monday off for the holiday- 4 total days off only cost me two personal hours.




  • On the Russ Martin Show he correctly and geniusly compared being around the open carry nuts in a public setting to the feeling you have when you clean out a garbage disposal- when you know it is off. Something in the back of your mind knows it is wrong and you're on edge- when you shouldn't have to be.
  • There are some things- lots of things we can do- it doesn't mean we should.
    Some kind of trumpet flower

    Dead skin from the green snake pictured above

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

On the Russ Martin Show he correctly and geniusly compared being around the open carry nuts in a public setting to the feeling you have when you clean out a garbage disposal- when you know it is off.

Awhile back one of the pied piper blogger's commenters described some of the OCT chapters as being to the OC issue as Westboro Baptist is/was to Christianity.

I thought that was a pretty good analogue. I support the notion of OC in the legislative process, and even think that some of the demonstrations can be productive, such as one of the early ones in the FW Stockyards, where the demonstrators were carrying 870s, Model 70s, 94s, in addition to AR/AK/HK/SKS/FALs and the like.

But the Arlington-Mansfield cell seems to have, currently, as its sole purpose, confrontation with, and pi$$ing off the APD.

It ain't a particularly smart strategy to sway public opinion in their favor.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don- I missed that analogy but it is so dead on, so wise and insightful- I'm shocked I didn't formulate that one myself.

Man, they are their causes own worst enemy- for one thing.

For another- they aren't out to educate or even demonstrate per se - they're trying to cause trouble.