Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions

The hugest parasitic vine I have ever seen- it was easily 4 or even 6 inches thick

Sky rat

American pelican


Often mistaken for ducks, these birds are coots

One of the rabbits abandoned at Sunshine Lake

His Satanic brother

You can see the strangest things in or near the trash at the pavillion






  • Jackson Browne's These Days in the manner of the acoustic. He wrote this song when he was 16 years old.
  • Zac is mesmerized by The Neverending Story. I mean presently- he's watching it while I'm writing.
  • If I was told I had a terminal illness: I'd one time have a woman with me to carry a huge purse with an equally huge zip lock bag into a Chinese buffet place so I could fill it up and scarf out later when I inevitably got hungry for more Chinese goodness the same night.
  • I don't eat at the buffet place in Weatherford by the Super Save, but if you do, look to your right as you walk in. there's a picture with horses as the subject. There's 100 of them in case you're curious. I walked in as the owner said," 99, 100!" "There's 100 horses?" I asked. "Yes, yes- I try for rong time between customers. Now I finish!"
  • People assume Chuck Hagel will be  a good Sec Def since as he served as a grunt in Vietnam he is more likely to lean toward diplomacy instead of agitate for war in a given situation. Recently I've heard multiple talk show hosts and political supporters for his nomination reference  this assumption. This literally makes no sense based on what we should know of what makes people tick. He was a grunt in a war we lost. If he enjoyed his time there and was good at his job he would be about as likely to push for a war he thought winnable as to not be demonstrably affected at all by his time in service when offering advice to the President.
  • People are weird. People will believe what they want to believe. I'm glad though, to hear the word, "grunt" in those polite news talk circles.
  • The new camera is great but like lots of tech these days- it is way smarter than me and I suspect it would be easier to get an associates degree as to master it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

People absolutely believe what they want to believe.

And once they decide what they want to believe, they accumulate facts that appear to back up their belief.

"What the thinker thanks, the prover proves."

Evil rabbits!

an Donalbane said...

Because I am an old coot, I am familiar with the JB - thanks for posting that, I haven't listened to that song for awhile (since I changed out the CDs on my car player).

Anytime I listen to JB for a bit, I am profoundly struck by the degree that he was able to perceive the human condition, and subsequently capture it in words and song. After a half-century, I can occasionally turn out a phrase that I think is clever (but I have no musical talent) - he was doing both before he was out of high school. A true prodigy.

Don't confront me with my failures I have not forgotten them.

I don't remember the Bohemian Nico chick's version of that song, but my understanding is that it got JB him recognized and essentially launched his career. Apparently there are a ton of covers out there.