Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday's Missives

Giant crawdad monster of Honey Creek

Big ole leaf

A type of granite I think but I'm not sure. My expertise runs more toward crawdads and  leaves


Come on dad- catch up!

Remnants of a critter's dinner






Let's call it Zachary's cave!






This tram was built in Wichita Kansas. It then spent a large part of it's life in Houston at NASA and then it somehow ended up in Turner Falls. Oh the stories it could tell- most of which would revolve around stinky, sweaty tourist butts in those plastic seats...


Rocks from the Blue Hole at TF. The water in the off season at least is decidedly green. Do they dye it blue?







You see these bones around every campsite in TF. What are they? They look like a cross section to a rib but I don't recall seeing them cut like that


Persimmon time



Hugenormous fireplace


  • DMX Ain't No Sunshine
  • I did not realize until I just heard it for the first time- an English person pronounces geyser as geezer.
  • True and simple satisfaction is a great feeling.
  •  My Wally World brand (Ozark Trail) hiking boots were a steal at 34 dollars- until they disintegrate on the trail one day I suppose.
  • I would like to own every David Attenborough documentary and every episode of Nova on Blu Ray.
  • 82: the number of DVDs  I've donated to the library.
  • A friend's full time job has already warned everyone there to look for other work because they'll all have their hours cut in half as a result of Obamacare. The company will do this without waiting until the start of enforcement of the changes and is in fact hiring more workers who'll all be part time so they can cut the current full timers hours back. I assume wherever this happens those new hires will be counted as new jobs to the economy.
  • We're our own worst enemy.
  • Time lapse and macro photography and video have fascinated me all my life.
  • The way pics on here now open up larger and in a slideshow format is a nice new feature.
  • Somebody heard me curse today (12/28/2012). There are relatively few people who can say that from the last 20 years or so.
  • I find myself saying (or at least thinking) You can't have it both ways more often.

5 comments:

RPM said...

Those bones look like they came from pork steak.

http://www.microwaverecipescookbook.com/pork-recipes/pork-steak

RPM said...

They could also be from cross cut "flanken style" ribs.

http://kosherkingdom.com/store/product.php?productid=140

Kathleen... said...

Cute little boy. Love the Cave photos. =) Bones...[oofph]....

el chupacabra said...

R- Great, thanks. Still has me curious though- you see those literally around every fire pit and BBQ in Oklahoma and I've never seen them in Texas.

Kthleen- Hey girl. Thanks- ya'll should go check 'em ot some time. Cabins are cheap in the off season and tent camping is 12 dollars a night.

an Donalbane said...

Don't know much about geology, don't know much trigonometry...

With apologies to Sam Cooke and S&G, if you say it's granite - I'll take it for granite.

Looks like y'all had a great time, though I imagine the swimming was not so good.

Say, that crustacean might pair well with, like, Louisiana Hot Sauce...or melted butter.

Wonder how long the tram has been at TF? I remember riding one just like that at JSC in about 2005 when my sons' Scout troop did an overnighter down there.

Bones? What bones? Maybe they're from that 'no body' murder case...

[cue Twilight Zone music]