Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts

I call this piece, Suspended Infinity. It is available as you exit through the gift shop

Zac's reaction to trying Mexican chili candy

I got this

My killer Xmas present. It's a pen,scissor, knife and flashlight



Inside the lakeside bird viewing station


Fossilized  fern bark


Let me see, we took a right, a left and then another right. So to get back...



I don't have a cute comment or title. I think I fell or somethin'






Life will find a way



Anything over 50 years old in a Texas state park is considered an artifact and is to be left undisturbed: ridiculous.



Couldn't see into this room in Baker at all. I just stuck the camera in there and let it auto focus



FUMC in Mineral Wells

Isn't satchel spelled with one L?


  • Them Crooked Vultures Elephants
  • The Beemer's remote access system got stuck on a setting that if you don't very rapidly start the motor up after entering or lock the door quickly after exiting, the windows will automatically roll all the way down and the sunroof will open. I cannot imagine a scenario where that would be a desirable feature.
  • We're packing for camping. After the packing is done we have to go get Zac new cold weather and sleeping gear. Regarding the packing- I would rather be poked in the eye with a dull stick.
  • 12/31/2012 @0340. We're back from camping, I'm awake and decidedly unsleepy. The birding tour was surprisingly fun, interesting and challenging. I guess I'm mostly surprised since I felt before we started I would like it more than I thought I would but in the end I liked even more than that.
  • That last sentence didn't make a lick of sense did it?
  • Yes, unsleepy is a word.
  • We saw birds I had never seen before and learned a lot about the ones I've seen all my life.
  • I literally was not so sure I wouldn't freeze to death out there. Zac did great- he really did. He did't complain at all. The closest thing he offered to a complaint was to tell me he was cold in the morning.
  • We bought him some cool hiking boots and parka.
  • I would do it all again- with another sleeping bag to stuff into mine, some big, thick wool socks and long silk underwear...
  • My tent will be here soon and I look forward to using it at Turner Falls. I've never camped there before. I would love to wake up in a tent there to about 6 or 8 inches of snow.
  • We saw lots of migratory birds at MWSP but not many mammals aside from a few deer and an armadillo. Multiple ladies on the birding tour commented it was the first live one they had ever seen. I've held live ones in my hands. They're very inoffensive animals, you just have to watch for their claws.
  • We bought a "king size" cot by ROI Adventure at Wallyworld. It is similar to an Army cot but larger and easier to set up. It seems very well made. I won't throw away my air bed over it but for certain situations it is great and the, it will never develop a leak and leave you sleeping on the ground factor should not be discounted.
  • I wore shorts all weekend with good boots, gloves and jacket. My theory is if you wear cotton jeans they won't hold much heat anyway and will contribute to your being chilled if they get wet. If we continue to go out in cold, wet weather I'll buy some cargo pants made of a poly blended material and/or poly blend wunnerwears.
  • Oddly, my tail bone hurts- terribly and I cannot account for why but it is part of the reason I'm up so early.

3 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Excellent composition and perspective on the boat launch pic.

Pity that, thus far, no viable plan has come forward for preserving the Baker.

an Donalbane said...

In other news - the desire to wake up in a tent with 6 inches of snow outside? Dude, I like the outdoors, but that's being a glutton for punishment.

Just sayin'.

Home on the Range said...

It looks like the most wonderful adventure for the young lad. Thanks so much for sharing.