Friday, June 24, 2011

Wolverines

From the movie Red Dawn. In Iraq you would not have to look too hard to find a blown up tank or building with WOLVERINES painted on them. One more reason I love America.





Prologue/Opening Narration: Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.















  • You cannot look up information on Red Dawn without being beat down by critics and armchair generals. Come on- it was a movie.



  • A comical clip.



  • An iconic scene.



  • At one time it held the record for most violent movie with an act of violence occurring as I recall once every 2.3 seconds.



  • How pervasive is the Red Dawn story in American military culture? The operation to capture Saddam was called Red Dawn.



  • When crossing a phase line or making a check point you nearly could not report the code for them over the radio without some smart Alec calling back "The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache."



  • Read the list of actors, there are very few unknowns- even the more or less minor characters.



  • On an off mission day I went out to see my guys off. As the HUMVEES were rolling out I called out,"Boys. Avenge me. Avenggggge meee!" Everybody chuckled.



  • I guess you had to be there.



  • My best friend in the Army claim to fame was being best friends growing up with kid who is left hanging out the school window after the paratroopers shoot it up.



  • Why an entire post dedicated to Red Dawn? I have no idea.

4 comments:

RPM said...

"On an off mission day I went out to see my guys off. As the HUMVEES were rolling out I called out,"Boys. Avenge me. Avenggggge meee!" Everybody chuckled."

LOL, Classic!

Jarhead™ said...

The script of that movie has been woven in to the lexicon of my close friends for years, esp. "the chair is against the wall..."

It was also the first movie ever rated PG-13.

an Donalbane said...

The Mi-24 reminds me of a Warthog with rotors.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Southy- Thanks. That is one of my favoritist war time memories and the one I always wonder,"Does anyone else remember that day?"

Jarhead-One person who I knew would 'get' that and I'd forgotten the associated trivia, but you're right.

Don- Good comparison. It has also been compared to a flying tank. In real life they're unbelievably large- so, conversely they're deceptively fast. They look like they're lumbering around until you realize- Holy smokes- that thing is going 200 MPH!
A 'not as great as they get credit for' aircraft that is still very interesting.