Friday, June 10, 2011

Friday's Dispatch

Devolution- it's real.












  • The Don reminded me of something recently. When I was young long haired metal heads (yep- guilty) may not have wanted to admit it publicly, but nearly always liked Journey and to a lesser extent Fleetwood Mac. Journey was known for good music, but a great show and Fleetwood Mac had pretty good music and Stevie Nicks.







  • There's a new report out by two members of Joint Chiefs staff in the Pentagon. In it they hi lite how this country is doing pretty much everything wrong from hysteria over Islamism, over extension abroad trying to maintain a presence with military might instead of political influence and not enough concentration on our debt and productivity. They specifically recommend focusing on infrastructure and education to promote our security. BTW- they think there should be less spent on defense.







  • I've developed a near phobic need to have my bedroom door shut at night which I at the same time feel I can't do if Zachary is here.







  • In another life I was a foster parent and would really like to do that again someday.







  • I sometimes miss having a yard to mow, beds to work and trees to water, but I get over it quickly.

2 comments:

RPM said...

Hyper-reacticing to muslims? That's redonkulous!

Gotta agree on the Fleetwood Mac assessment. FM could have survived without Stevie Nicks, they just wouldn't have been greatness. She was lightning in a bottle. Steve Perry vs Stevie Nicks? Puh-leeeze. Give me the little nutzo blonde (talking about Nicks, not Perry!) everytime.

an Donalbane said...

Mike - You're right about Stephanie - without the addition of Buckingham/Nicks, FM would likely have been relegated to the Uriah Heep of rock & roll. Maybe Oh, Well and Sentimental Lady would still get some airplay today, but I doubt it.

No deep thoughts or critical social observations like Henley, Nicks nonetheless is an accomplished pop tunecrafter. I enjoy most of her FM canon, and of her solo work, I would rate Rooms on Fire, Planets of the Universe and the Petty & Henley duets as her best.

Kev - Islamism, less defense $? Based in part on several books I've been reading lately, I have a distillation of ideas almost ready for bottling that address those, as well as oil, so-called dynasty, the fall of the dollar, and the coming [Zombie?] apocalypse.

But not enough space here.