Monday, June 27, 2011

I Learned About Empathy From That Part Two

I faded out then came right back to from the pain. Then a minute or so later the pain reached a point- I again fainted.
"Kevin, I'm going to get you something for the pain then get you admitted."

A few minutes later an RN came in and verified who I was and my allergies. I was breathing fast and my color wasn't very good. I know this because he said,"You're breathing kind of fast and your color isn't too good. Here, I'm going to put this oxygen on you. It may smell like plastic and tickle if you're not used to it."

Amidst the agony- it tickled like crazy and yes smelled like plastic.

He was a thorough and calm educator. The difference he must have made in peoples lives.

"Have ever had morphine before?" he asked gently. No. I replied. "OK, well you may notice a strange taste in your mouth, a little pressure behind your eyes and then just slightly nauseated. That will pass and then you're going to feel mighty fine, you'll be doing good."

I had been a nurse for years and never heard the first part of his education and still think the DR Feelgood tone to his voice kind of funny.

To be continued.

No comments: