Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday's Digressions

One of the images you get when you Google Abe Vigoda.




  • On a comment board somewhere dirtypants428 sez,"my first car was a plymouth reliant. I also like spaghetti ".



  • You go boy- you rawk!



  • The bread served in chow halls in Iraq was trucked frozen from bakeries in Kuwait- terrible unless you toasted it then- it was just awful.



  • But, you could upgrade it to bad with copious amounts of mayo, tomatoes, bacon and cheese. Oh, and black pepper.



  • BLTs- one of natures most perfect foods.



  • Once everyone on the whole base basically got sick at the same time. It was then put out it was some sort of stomach virus and guys were treated for dehydration as they fell out right and left and the aid station was overflowing with sick troops.



  • Ommm- Gods gonna get you Uncle Sam for lies like that.



  • As this article illustrates most victims families who watch the murderer die when executed report their pain not relieved by the death. Some people are surprised when they learn families report only partial relief, or none at the death of a family members murderer and that some are even adamantly opposed to the state killing them. I would have been more than shocked if in their heart of hearts people felt any lasting relief, healing, closure or whatever you want to call it at the condemned persons death. In my opinion it could only bring anguish in light of the peaceful, relatively painless almost benign way the prisoner dies at the hand of the state compared to what the victim suffered. They simply go to sleep. For some, there would be the sense that for the murderer it's all over and the family will suffer until their own deaths reliving their loved ones murder every day. For some, it's that there's one more death associated with the crime that solves nothing etc. I just think people haven't really searched their own feelings, have a good grasp of what really makes humans tick or count the cost in many other ways when they not only support the death penalty but, celebrate it during an execution.

7 comments:

mzchief said...

* The BLT sandwich with mayo is truly a gift from God. However, there really are very few things that bacon fails to make taste awesome. Believe it or not, bacon is the most frequently listed food that prevents Jews, who attempt to keep Kosher, from eating an entirely Kosher diet.

* It is the loss of a loved one and not the cause/manner of their death that makes us morn their passing for the rest of our days. I have known for a very long time, the majority of, humans are not self-centered enough to be able to ease their grief by depriving someone of that which they were deprived. Think about it, no one has ever heard the victim of a tornado, hurricane or other disaster say..."I feel so much better about losing all my possessions since everyone else around me has lost everything they own." The entire U.S. needs to give up government sanctioned murder of U.S. citizens and do what states like Iowa have done and firmly establish that; "Life in prison," truly means until the person dies in prison. It damages the U.S., as a society, for the members of our society to grant permission to the government to murder U.S. citizens on our behalf. Capital punishment is NOT a deterrent and does not provide closure to the family members of the victim.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! A BLT with cheese shared with a friend is the best!
I don't think that capital punisment is a solution for the victim's family. After tremendous expense to the state and it's people, the only positive thing is that the criminal no longer sucks the money down that it takes to provide housing, food and medical services.
Nobody really "wins" once the crime is committed.

Miss_proper said...

I always thought that an eye for an eye was the way to go... and I always thought that to see a person get what they deserved would make me feel better.

However in the few instances that this has been a reality in my life I find that I not only do NOT feel better but then I feel bad for them!

I am not saying that I would feel bad if they executed a person that killed a loved one... but I don't think I would feel any better....

an Donalbane said...

And Abe Vigoda is...still alive.

http://www.abevigoda.com/

Go Fish!

YM said...

Why were you googling Abe Vigoda?

el chupacabra said...

MZ- I've said it before but, in not too many generations (I hope) as our childrens, children- children? become more aware of their world they'll be genuinely shocked and say to the effect,"You mean our government used to kill its own people?"
The death sentence is and isn't many things- one, it IS irrational and another it ISN'T effective- for anything, not even typically for vengeance.

Miz G- "An eye for an eye"- and pretty soon we're all blind.

Don- Yes still alive and rockin'.

My Queen- Interesting you should ask that, since it's the same thing I wondered when I read the post this evening. I think a friend might have compared a woman he works with appearance to him!

el chupacabra said...

MZ- PS, I like that analogy a LOT.