Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Am Prepared Now... And I am Fine Again


Mentioned here recently being sick- dear God, it was no fun and it came out of nowhere- no known exposure to someone with a stomach virus but, with my job- who knows? It did coincide with being in a patients home that absolutely nauseated me and I had to work up some strength before entering and eat real big before going to their home but not too close so I'd be reminded of why I was hogging out so I'd be OK without eating for 12 hours. When they offered I needed to be able to honestly say,"Oh, no thanks I just pigged out on Chinese" (or whatever). You have to be ready for this because the poorer they are, the more they love, respect and want to take care of you. So they always want to feed you or give you things.




The patient dies this night- catching me off guard, I was sure she had a couple more days and I'm never wrong on this. Everyone from the trailer park comes and says their goodbyes with bloodshot eyes through a fog of cheap beer and cigarette smell. They all also fall against me, sobbing, thanking me profusely for taking care of their Boo Boo (everyone there had a nickname). They're close enough I smell rotted teeth, stale cigarettes and cheap cologne and their tears and dirt literally stain my scrubs with mud. I've never been hugged by a midget - before this night. One offers to sell me a pup- "Her mom and dad have papers!" the owner proudly proclaims. For some reason I hand her a 50 dollar bill for a pup I didn't know then would cost me much more in wormer meds and late night nursing trying to coax the dang thing to live for my children who love it like no other animal we've ever had. The worms were the stuff of X Files or Fringe television shows- 7-8 inches long, smooth- non segmented and smelled fishy. They're also firm feeling and appear lifeless when expelled (even before meds).

I was caught so off guard in this situation I'd brought them a television that night since there's went out during my previous shift. The idea being the patient who was cognizant enough to watch television during my previous shift would have a diversion and the nurse on the other shift would would have something to do when not doing direct care. I left it with the decedents spouse- he can use it more than me and anyway, in his culture it will be currency as good as gold, worth a half a months rent or more.




My head spins as I count drugs with the RN who pronounces the death. She's pretty, funny and sweet- and the type you would have picked even out of scrubs as a nurse- she's just nursely. Family is already arguing over the decedents possessions. There's screaming and shoving. Someone says,"I'll take this." while picking up some yard sale reject. "Like hell, you will!" hisses another through through gritted teeth, while grabbing the object away. The father keeps repeating,"We're not talking about this here and now- wait until morning- wait until after her funeral anyway." Good man, good man he's using my broken record method of conflict mediation I've developed and coached him on when he asked me ,"What will I do when...?" An even tone and hanging onto something that sounds like we'll work something out but, not too committal or provocative will tone the situation down and prevent bloodshed- yes it's happened.




Me and pup drive home in the floaty way you get sometimes just before you get real sick. My stomach burns like there's a Bic lighter right in the middle of my stomach, bend too far and the flame touches the walls of the stomach or the esophagus sending a back draft of flames up the throat which will lead to the inevitable emptying of the meager contents of my inflamed stomach. I feel a little better when Terry Gross says, "I'm Terry Gross and you're listening to Fresh Air" in her breathless way.


At about 3 the next morning my guts are bubbling like the Le Brae tar pits and I race to the bathroom. When I stand up I say,"Man, that looks gross,' And then, raaaaah- the contents of my stomach empty. I dig through the medicine cabinet for any and everything that may help from over the counter meds to old narcotics. Then I have dreams about living with cave dwellers, ballerinas and snakes- always the snakes when I'm crazy. I awaken 16 hours later in such a sweat I can blow it off my mustache and I'm instantly chilled under the ceiling fan.


My muscles ache from disuse and joints hurt from dehydration.
My toes literally hurt from bending them so much when I yakked the night before.

I've been asked,"Who cares for nurses when they're sick?" The answer is really no one because everyone feels too over awed- like there's nothing they can do- even when they try, so it's very lonely.


I'm tired again and need to eat (I've lost 10 or 15 pounds- pants fall down when I put them on)




Would say, more about this later but, I'm not kidding anyone- even myself.




Want to forget. Listen to this and this. with me and we'll be better.

10 comments:

YM said...

At least you got a puppy out of the deal. Did you name him Roundworm? I rescued a dog from the pound who had worms...it put me off eating spaghetti for a while.

Wow, you were really sick. I feel bad for joking about it now. I'm glad you're on the mend.

MarmiteToasty said...

ok, I come back to this post today cos I left it in tears yesterday.... I so get the loneliness when one is sick or poorly...... experienced that twice with both my major surgeries and those around just couldnt cope with me being out of action, hence me getting back to doing everything way to early hence why Im 'buggered up' now....

after reading this post yesterday I just wanted to wrap you up and bring you home LOL

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps........ gagging at the worms LOL.. pasta is soooooooo off our menu for a while..

x

Judy said...

I don't know how you do what you do. I took care of my dad for 3 days while mom was in the hospital. He suffers from alztimers and dementia. On all kinds of meds and can't do hardly anything by himself. When I got home, I cried for a long time and slept almost 12 hours that night!
You are a saint, sir.

Anonymous said...

may the Lord bless an keep you well,sir! hope you are doing better. very well written, feel sorry for you.

Take care and try to have a Merry Christmas

read you from bowie, caught you offa Dairy Queen, keep up the good work

B-Town

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I assent to but I think the collection should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

i very enjoy your own writing style, very interesting.
don't give up and also keep creating considering the fact that it simply very well worth to read it.
looking forward to look into even more of your writing, good bye :)

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats off to you enter, will look forward for the duration of more interrelated articles in a jiffy as its united of my choice issue to read.