Monday, June 29, 2009

Mondays Missives





  • A lot of people who have been comatose open their eyes as they die. The first thing you think when you see it happen is what do they see? If they are looking at a blank wall I step into their field of view with a kind/warm expression and smile at them and tell them they will be OK and then back away. If looking toward a window or family portraits etc. I leave it at that.


  • A 100 years from now people will be wearing Polo and Henley shirts.


  • It made no sense in the 50s and 60s when the designers of the day would roll out ridiculous looking dress made of plastics. Styles may come and go (and come back even) but, a human wrapped in plastic will always be a bad idea.


  • Things aren't often as they seem nor do they turn out the way we envision they will.


  • Someone recently told me I would look good in a pink polo shirt. I think pink shirts for guys may be the white devils lie but, I guess I'll keep an open mind. I think women should wear pink though.


  • The patient I mentioned in the past who played golf into her 80s looked at me like I was an imbecile and said,"You better start." when I told her I never played.


  • Recently a nurse from another agency made a very overt sexual advance toward me- kind of freaked me out at first then made me feel good.


  • It usually starts with them rubbing my bald head...

6 comments:

Miss_proper said...

Hey bald men are incredibly sexy!

I can't even tell you know I am in awe that you can help people at the end of their lives, knowing that the any relationship will be short lived. I worked in a nursing home out of high school and a part of my died every time one of them did. I learned to protect myself. That you can stay open and comforting is awe inspiring to me.

MarmiteToasty said...

Depends on which head she (cripes it was a she right?) was rubbing lol.... oh my, sorry, how rude :)

You dear man have the most precious soul.... to see your smiling face instead of a blank wall as one dies.... I stand in awe of you..

My 6'4" son Tom sometimes wears pink, and looks very dashing if I say so meself.... I dont really do pink as such, except I do have one pink top lol.. Im more a cornflower blue or purple sorta person....

x

an Donalbane said...

That is a very freaky picture. Yikes!

Kathleen... said...

Oh, my....see, working out is baaaad for you! lol

And 'Delphie, congrats on being reminded that you're a viable, handsome guy. =)

an Donalbane said...

Eww! Is that dude, with that strangely shadowed face, Bart Simpson all growed up?

el chupacabra said...

gina- thanks. the openness in my experiences is something i've hope is evident and useful to help folks learn about and accept hospice so it means a lot that comes thru to you.

mars- goog grief!! and thanks. still not really settled on the pink issue

don- the craziest thing? the pic is supposedly not tampered with!

ano- thanks that's a good way to look at that little scene. i appreciate that

don- hey you're right- kind of has that look...