Saturday, February 14, 2009

This Day In History







"Wanderone (also known as Minnesota Fats) enjoyed promoting a feud with world champion Mosconi over how to present pool – either as a rough-and-tumble gambling game (Wanderone) or as a genteel pastime and art form (Mosconi). Mosconi's widow, Flora, has said of the rivalry, "My husband hated Minnesota Fats because he felt that [Wanderone] was always hurting the image of the game instead of helping it." Wanderone on the other hand would state smugly, "I may have 'given away' a few games to deserving competitors, but I have never lost a real money game since I was old enough to spell 'Weeli Mesconi'." The two played on Valentine's Day 1978 in a televised match on ABC's Wide World of Sports. With almost 11 million viewers, the game was the second-highest rated episode of the show for that year, behind only the Muhammed Ali vs. Leon Spinks rematch. The game was held at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel, and was announced by Howard Cosell. Although Wanderone lost the game, he won the audience with his banter, and with his joking manner. Mosconi on the other hand was perceived as coldly serious and even hostile."



As a boy I honestly did not know who I worshipped more- the confident, sophisticated, tux dressed Mosconi or the loud mouthed, wise cracking, profane Wanderone. I mean how could you ask me to choose?



I kid you not, I remember watching that match like it was yesterday. My dad was a pool hustler like no other. My uncle and other older guys talked to the end of their lives about how he would go into the bar behind the old Jeters liquor store on 287 in his overalls after work and carrying a cheap cue (which I still have) and take peoples money and basically dare anybody that wanted to try and take it back.



Decatur TX where I grew up has had at least four pool halls that I know of and I've spent as much time in them as anywhere I suppose- starting when I was about six. Geezers would give me money, chewing tobacco and indulge me in games of pool telling me to rack em up and letting me take their money.



Simple, simple times.

2 comments:

RPM said...

I worked in bars for many years and always enjoyed playing pool. It was fun to watch the fish line up for a good hustler.

el chupacabra said...

True enough, as a postscript- before I knew any of those tales about my dad, when I was about 16 I went into that same bar with a 20-22 year old thug I was always running around with who was a sure enough hustler. He won the table so he and I could play prompting the guys who had it before to offer to play partners. I protested saying it had been too long since I played and was way too rusty (which was true) They of course said,"AW it'll just be for fun."(see where this is headed?) Naturally, somewhere along the line they suggested a 'friendly' 5.00 a game which of course we accepted and at which point of course my hustler genes must have activated and I simply could not miss. When we noticed those guys white knuckles on their cues and seething through their teeth we took it as a sign our welcome had been worn out and decided to leave (after winning either 3 or 4 games)