Monday, February 16, 2009

Mondays Missives




    "This is Georgina.She works part-time as a chef at a leading resturaunt in Cheshire.She has won many, many medals at Special Olympics over the years in swimming and gymnastics and now she is a swimming coach for youngsters.On top of all this she is a spokesperson for the Special Olympics.I have been producing calendars to raise awareness of Down's syndrome and this image was shot for the 2006 calendar.You can find out more information at:http://www.ds2008.co.uk/ " - Flickr





  • I'd like to have at least a years worth of interesting non topical posts scheduled. That would give me time to do some well written and researched posts I'd like to express myself with. Think about it, if I died the posts that came up later would be like a message from beyond the grave! Mu waa ha ha ha.

  • That might be a good book idea, a guy writes a blog that gets the whole world inspired by his theories and philosophies on love and life and everyone tries to figure out who it is and the mystery only deepens as lead after lead comes up cold and pretenders are found to be pale imposter's. In the end, as the story unfolds we find that the real author was a 16 year old Downs affected boy who died three years prior of a congenital heart heart defect but, he had so much wisdom he had those years worth of posts scheduled to publish.

  • Then a reporter who had spent every waking minute writing scathing reviews of the blog and deriding all it's followers as simpletons looking for a quick fix to real problems is the one to track down the author. Intent on a confrontation he goes to the boys home where his single, beautiful and strong willed mother greets him and tells the boys story. The reporter is so moved he throws away his powerful high profile job and begins ghost blogging in the boys place just as people start losing their way because the scheduled posts have all been published months before. We fade out to some uplifting music as people who were on the verge of suicide pull guns out of their mouths after reading his posts. Estranged families come together tearfully after being reunited by the power of his simple messages of love and forgiveness. A pregnant woman leaves an abortion clinic hopefully caressing her unborn baby through her dress after reading the blog on her Iphone in the waiting room...
  • Man, it's tough being goofy as me.

  • When I was a boy in Decatur Tx there was a store called Russells Shoe Store. Me and my mother were in there at the same time as an adult Downs syndrome affected man and his strikingly pretty mother. He would fuss like a young child while the salesperson fitted his shoes, "Ow! Wha uh,uh, that horts my foot." he said through what I thought were obviously faked tears. Mom shushed me when I asked, "Why is that grownup acting like a kid?" Years later I was a nurse at the hospital where he died. He looked the same, just heavier with gray hair, she was still beautiful but, of course very elderly. I know she took good care of herself through the years just to be there for him. The saddest part of witnessing their ordeal was the fact I know that day was the day of greatest sorrow she ever faced and simultaneously the greatest relief in her life.

2 comments:

YM said...

That last sentence really got me.

My daughter has a young, beautiful friend who has a little boy born with Down Syndrome. She's a wonderful mother who has devoted her life to him at home and in her career as a teacher for children just like her son.

The Accomplice said...

I know that parents with Down Syndrome are strong. Your right about that mom. She must have felt sorrow and relief at the same time.