Saturday, February 7, 2009

In The News


"The Pentagon is reviewing 18 deaths in conjunction with a contractor's electrical work, including that of Staff Sgt. Christopher Everett, seen in the photograph next to his mother, Larraine McGee of Huntsville, Texas." ap article on msnbc
I served with SSG Everett in Iraq. He was very well liked and respected and as I recall, he died fairly late in the tour which always seems to make their loss more difficult to bear. The fact it was a non battle related, preventable incident doesn't help either I'm sure. Found the following profile after initial post.
Army Staff Sgt. Christopher L. Everett

"For Valentine's Day, Christopher L. Everett knew the little packages and e-mails he sent from Iraq to his fiancee wouldn't be enough. So he paid for her and a friend to get a massage.
"He really was amazing and did everything a husband or boyfriend should do," Kristy Wellborn said. "He would call me when he knew I was at work and leave me a message, telling me he was thinking about me."

Everett, 23, of Huntsville, Texas, was electrocuted Sept. 7 while working with a power washer in Taqaddum. He was assigned to Arlington.

He joined the National Guard while a senior in high school. He also was working for the Texas Department of Corrections at the time he was called to active duty.

Everett, who had been a Boy Scout and loved camping and the outdoors, loved to work with his hands and loved animals. He hoped to fly a Life Flight helicopter.

"I was always so proud of him, and I am proud of him beyond words that he would volunteer to risk his life when he didn't have to," said his mother, Larraine Everett.

He also is survived by his father, Patrick." from ajc.com/news

No comments: