Thursday, March 29, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts

Half eaten random onion somebody dropped near the gas pump.

  • A random odd regret: I wish I had taken better care of my teeth. Having good dentition and great smile will improve the quality of your life in big, huge ways we are not even taught. So yeah- I would wish for better teef.
  • I wish someone would have explained to me the import of good choppers when I was young and that I took said advice to heart.
  • PS : Mine are not grody or anything- just not as good as they could have been.
  •  Today at a nursing conference I met up with a former coworker. She introduced me to her new coworker as her ,... ex office husband. That was funny! I've talked about it here before but I had kind of forgotten about it.
  • Over time it got to where we knew when each other would be hungry (and likes and dislikes) and would feed the other. We asked each others opinions constantly. We shared work loads. Coworkers even started accepting us speaking for the other when one of us were absent. It was the weirdest thing.
  • There were multiple maniacs on the drive home this evening 3/20/2018. It is not a competition kids.
  • Last night (today is March 24th 2018) I told Zac about my dad working in a slaughterhouse. The impetus was hearing Skip James Killing Floor Blues. My dad told me the first thing you did when you started working in the slaughterhouse was you worked on the killing floor doing the actual killing. So you're thinking well maybe it wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world but at least you just punch them in the head with that pneumatic bolt like in No Country for Old Men right? Uhmmm- no. A sledgehammer was used. The killer would bash the animal in the head with the sledgehammer. After some time and when a new employee would come in you would move down the line and up in ranks to where you were the actual one doing the disassembly and butchering of the animal. He talked about an old black man who was fine with just doing the killing- he never wanted to move up anywhere. It was the only time I ever heard my dad use the n-word. The gentleman was called N_ _ _ _ _ Ben.

3 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Who the heck eats a full size onion? I mean, pearl onions in martinis, or maybe green onions in salads or such - but a big honkin' bite from a full onion? Idiocracy!

an Donalbane said...

I have had maybe 3 'work wives'. Two of them were excellent, the other, not so much. And no hanky-panky went on with any of them.

Interesting note about Ben. Today, that would be, of course, an inflammatory sobriquet. But I would posit that in those days it was not so much intended as a derogation as it was simply an adjectival cognomen.

Snowflakes run for their safe spaces thinking about H. Finn calling his friend Jim with that descriptor, but any knowledgeable Clemens reader knows that ol' Sam didn't mean it as a racist epithet.

My Grandmother used to buy Brazil nuts at the local grocer - but she never called them Brazil nuts. I am fully certain she was not a racist...probably she had never heard them called Brazil nuts (and at the time, I don't suppose I had, either).

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don. Yeah the onion. That was a strange sight. I have heard there are people who do that but it was the first time I've seen it in the wild.
The work wife issue is such a trip I'm actually going to have to come back to to it later and talk about it more.
It was as I said just the weirdest thing- we spend all this time together and nobody ever questioned whether there was anything going on between us and I personally really didn't think that way I don't think she did either.
I don't know anyone's hearts related to Ben (except I THINK my dads) but in context my dads use was just a statement of fact for the story. I dunno if he would have used it way back then.