Monday, December 18, 2017

Monday's Missives


  • Today we we toured President Eisenhower's birth home. Maxine, who did the tour was literally amazing from a knowledge standpoint and inspiring in her presentation.
  • It was kinda crazy to stand in the bedroom where Ike was born at about 8 PM 127 plus years ago.
  • We had lunch at Hateful Hussy's Mining Camp BBQ in Denison
  • I had a dish consisting of brisket, onions, jalepenos and cheese over fries which they call Frisket.
  • Gaw- I see what you did there...
  • Also today 10/21/2017 we camped at Eisenhower State Park. Well, to be more correct-  we put our tent up and got our gear all set for camping. Then we went to eat and took a swim in gorgeous Lake Texhoma. When we got back to our site our gear- all of it was gone.
  • I could not believe my eyes.
  • So after we made the report with the police we headed out and got a hotel room. About the time we walked in the door I received a call from the park superintendent who reported my gear had been recovered and the thief was on their way to jail. In the morning we can go pick it up.
  • This world is a crazy place to live
  • Update: The great camping gear cat burglar is a hurricane Harvey refugee. The Texas State park system is allowing them to stay in parks free of charge. She is still in jail as of 10/22/2017 at about noon. 
  • She could not have known this- I know but if she had asked, I would have given her everything I had besides the tent itself- and only would have reserved that for myself as she already had a tent and mine is too small for one person to use long term and I would have known she was just running the score up on me if she asked.
  • "Be pitiful to everyone you meet for theirs is a hard battle" Ian Maclaren.
  • The first quote I thought of when I learned who it was who jacked my stuff and why our paths crossed.






    This kid got the lifesaving ring from the pool stuck around his body. I wasn't so sure it would not have to be cut off.


3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Glad you got your stuff back!

el chupacabra said...

Hey Tommy Thanks.
Just another weird part of my story I suppose.
I got everything back but my air mattress. I paid 80 for it I am nearly sure (although replacement value is 60). It's replacement is supposed to be nicer so I am back on top of the world I guess (albeit 200 plus buck lighter.)

an Donalbane said...

Wow, I forgot how much I miss Lake Texoma. We used to go camping/fishing there when I was a kid.

I think I went on a class field trip to Ike's birthplace in like 4th or 5th grade. My recollection is that it was just a few blocks east of US 75 as it ran through old Denison, but I'm sure that by now the highway loops around the city.