Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday's Missives



  • It is 0623 on 12/10/2017. We are at Fort Richardson State Park and the sun is just trying to come up.
  • We did the ghosts of Xmas past last night. It was OK but nothing like previous years.
  • In a stroke of genius I chose a cabin instead of a tent for our lodging last night.
  • Yesterday I saw a painted bunting for the first time in my life.
    Best part of fall/winter- found coat pocket money baby!
  • Zac played with kids camping next door until nearly 10 o'clock last night. I asked one where he was from from. Texas! was his reply. 
    Strawberry cheesecake French toast- what a time to be alive.
  • The stars were incredibly bright overnight.
  • Zac builds the fires when we camp nowadays.
  • Nowadays- one weird word.
    I still have books from the bookstore I bought on post in Bad Hersfeld in 1985 or 1986.
  • I emailed a couple of guys from my Army days at Bad Hersfeld Germany last night. One address was long dead but still hope to hear from the other. 
  • One was the armorer. He was from Mount Pisgah South Carolina. After getting gigged on my weapon once again I asked him to show me what he expected and how to get there. Another time I happened to ask him what was going on- he indicated he was stressing over an impending inspection. I told him I had nothing else better to do- I would help him. We touched weapons up and listened to country music and talked about fishing for a few hours. Consequently- after that day when we came out of the field I would just hand my weapon off to him and I'd walk out and go party. He would not even look at it.
  • Life pro tip: Learn what wheels to grease kids.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Does that Strawberry Cheesecake French toast come with a side of Metformin?

I got a pocket fiver Saturday night when I attended an event at Daughter's high school. Ex- had told me it'd be $5 at the door, but I slipped an extra five in my pocket, just in case. Sure enough, I got to the ticket table and found that it said "Adults - $10", so I handed the young lady $10.

Whereupon she handed me back $5, telling me that "students and seniors are just $5".

Seniors?!

Whippersnapper! But like Harry Chapin, I stuffed the bill in my [jacket]. Five bucks is five bucks, right?

el chupacabra said...

Senior?! Tempted to say, That harsh bro! but no- I'm jealous.

el chupacabra said...

Senior?! Tempted to say, That harsh bro! but no- I'm jealous.

el chupacabra said...

Senior?! Tempted to say, That harsh bro! but no- I'm jealous.