Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sharkarosa After Action Report


  • It was OK- not great as I assumed it would be. Alright- it was very OK. The kids loved it and it didn't break the bank so I'm not going to complain.
  • Noticed a lot of people with children whom it appeared obvious were foster children. There were multiple families and none of them seemed to interact, so I don't think it was a group thing.

    Zac gets high fived by a Joey.

    This guy got smashed in the face by a car when he was a baby. Sheesh, I thought I had it hard.

    Mom was not impressed with this red tailed boa's antics but she seemed like a good sport overall about it.


    I asked the kid where this type of snake was from. From Peruvian was his reply.

    Two cel phone just laying around- not in their natural habitat.  I'm sure a kid ditched them out of a stroller.



    I hear people talking about camel toes all the time. I don't get it- but here is some if that is your thing.

    Smooch!

  • African crested porcupines are one of my favorite animals. They get eaten by humans in their native land.
  • They have an albino spectacled cobra. The handler said it had been defanged.
  • There are probably 10-12 camels there. All are dromedary and all but 1 female. 
  • There were only a couple of birds on display and no reptiles.
  • One of those teacup pigs got aggravated at me and snapped at me in the petting zoo- right after I commented on him looking delicious and saying something about bacon.. Everybody laughed at me.
  • The driver of the safari tram was named TJ.
  • I noted very few wild birds flying around. It would have been a logical assumption I thought that they would be everywhere snagging the dropped feed.
  • Mike Rowe did an episode of Dirty Jobs there. He fed baby kangaroos and stimulated them to poop with a wet wipe into his hand.
  • Every animal there appeared to be healthy and happy.
  • The snack stand was pretty good, especially their hot dogs and the lady running it was a sweety. She and her husband were working it together. They have been married for 25 years.
  • I was surprised there wasn't a sign prominently placed telling the story of how they arrived at the name Sharkarosa.
  • The US flag was displayed incorrectly. It was to the right of the state flag as you enter the grounds.
  • They have 2 Pere Davids deer there- a male and a female. Sadly there are none left wild in their native China. The species is sometimes nicknamed sibuxiang (Chinese: 四不像, pinyin: sì bú xiàng), literally meaning "four not alike", which could mean "the four unlikes" or "like none of the four"; it is variously said that the four are cow, deer, donkey, horse (or) camel, and that the expression means in detail:
    • "the hooves of a cow but not a cow, the neck of a camel but not a camel, antlers of a deer but not a deer, the tail of a donkey but not a donkey."
    • "the nose of a cow but not a cow, the antlers of a deer but not a deer, the body of a donkey but not a donkey, tail of a horse but not a horse"
    • "the tail of a donkey, the head of a horse, the hoofs of a cow, the antlers of a deer"
    • "the neck of a camel, the hoofs of a cow, the tail of a donkey, the antlers of a deer"
    • "the antlers of a deer, the head of a horse and the body of a cow"[4]

1 comment:

Opus #6 said...

Nothing about "toes of a camel"?