Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday's Missives




That is a long way down, isn't it dad? Yes, it is. Please be careful I said with my heart in my throat when I turned to see him looking into that yawning chasm of death instead of walking right behind me like I thought he was.

Life In The Balance



Hey, want a nice bottle of urine some arrogant rock climber left behind?

Amtrac drive sprocket

Guy being towed was having a bad day but was good humored about it


Gama Goat. I have driven untold miles in various examples of this weird old utility vehicle.  It was a 6 wheel drive and would float with a swim kit mounted. You can mount an infinite number trailers to each other making it look like a giant centipede. It had a 3 cylinder Cummins? diesel mounted right behind the driver that was loud as thunder. It would literally make you want to vomit to drive one for a couple of hours at highway speed- with  hearing protectors on. It will be on my short list for my dream shopping spree when my ship comes in.

When I put something made of meat and tube shaped in my mouth called Lil Chub... well, lets just assume that will never happen.

The rare and elusive Canada goose

Wall of legends of Mineral Wells State Park


Shadows

I imagined this elder gentleman helping the Hispanic man rig his fishing gear up as being somebody who without any malice whatsoever would pronounce Mexican as Messican.





I asked the concession operator what his number one seller was in this after hours bait machine. Butterfinger bars was his surprise answer. I correctly guessed number 2 as being Mtn Dew. He said the machine cost 8 thousand dollars. 

Her name was Dixie according to the calls of the people she abandoned with glee to come explore near us. Another light colored Lab was named Cracker. They were comical and smart - kinda in the job description of Labs I suppose.


This says I'm right here

Ancient Indian pottery shard

  • The madness that is Afghanistan
  • I like Walmart, good prices,quality merchandise and local assability." From a comments section on Walmart. "Assability"? Huh?!
  • A couple of days ago I saw woman driving erratically and 5 mph under the speed limit in the passing lane. As I and the other 10 people she had stacked up behind her for miles passed her she looked up, took a look around and with a grin on her face looked back down to her phone and resumed texting. That same afternoon I saw a guy sharpening his pocket knife while driving and talking on a Bluetooth headset.
  • Tomorrows planned trip to Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch may be postponed due to thunderstorms.
  • I had that very rare headache yesterday. It caused me to be nauseated and light sensitive. Even more rare for me- it forced me to leave work early.
  • Barry mentioned once being known for having quick reflexes. On the same day I had the same observation scheduled to post on myself. When I saw his I took mine down so I wouldn't look like a copycat. That is a weird coincidence though for such a random thought isn't it? Anyway, yes I'm known for the same thing by people I'm around. I'll catch papers in mid air that somebody drops or a coffee cup a waitress drops etc. A few days ago a nurse missed the counter with her coffee cup as she tried to place it on the counter I was standing near. Reflexively, my foot went out catching the cup in midair, then in almost the same motion my foot went down to ease it to the floor. My nursing buddy said,"How did you do that? That isn't right- nobody should know how to do that." It's just another one of my superpowers.
  • All my dreams were just a jumble of randomocity last night.
  • Relationship pro tip: If your significant other wants some space be the second person in the history of the world to give it to them. Don't try to take control of the situation and find out whats going on or try to get physical to let them know what they're missing or whatever- let them go.
  • It seems ignorant at least and maybe slightly racist for TV shows to subtitle a persons dialogue when they speak perfect English but with an accent that may be strong to Western ears.

4 comments:

RPM said...

I guessed that Gama Goat had a Detroit Diesel from your description. A quick Google confirmed it had a 3-53 Detroit and no muffler.

The old Detroits were 2 stroke engines similar to a dirtbike and earned them the nickname Yamaha. They were loud, very loud. My Dad had a truck with a 6-71 Detroit and straight exhaust. You could hear him from 5 miles away(and it saved my butt a few times when he came home early).

Paxford said...

Hope you are feeling better and that the headache has passed.

Pax

el chupacabra said...

R- hey man. As soon as I saw your repsonse I thought, I KNEW that why did I say Cummins?

Hi Mari- Yes thanks much better.

an Donalbane said...

When Daughter and I were @ the Vietname Memorial @ MW last summer, we caught the most ginormous walking stick I've ever seen, over by the troop transporter.

I understand what you're saying about reflexes - I think my responses are much better than they were when I was a teenager or in my 20s - like catching an ice cube before it flies outta the freezer or such. Maybe my dendrites, ganglia and synapses have become like a finely tuned orchestra or somethin'.

Yeah, right...