Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wednesday's Digressions

Bois D' Arc apple left in another tree after a squirrel dined on it.



Found to side of trail headed toward primitive camping are at MWSP.  I assumed if I touched it I would be jerked off my feet and left swinging upside down from a snare. Go ahead and laugh but if my years of movie watching experience have taught me nothing else, it is to not mess with natural objects that have been arrayed in unnatural ways on or near a foot path.



Below is this in better focus.


Here it is focused out of the picture.

A tube sock full of aluminum cans. Don't ask me.


  • Seasick Steve- It's All Good. Great- great blues guitarist.
  • This morning (03172013) one of the stories is about a Swiss acupuncturist who infected 16 people with HIV. That is one more reason, beside the fact it cannot work for people to abandon that odd, dangerous practice.
  • Still kind of funny to me- multiple people have registered surprise when we've caught up and I've mentioned still being a nurse. They will say, Oh, I heard you were a chiropractor.
  • I'm not OCD about it but it isn't unheard of for me to turn a toilet roll over so it feeds out from the top when I notice it has been improperly placed to feed out from the bottom.
  • With the new Blogger if you edit a draft it defaults up to the top of your drafts page.
  • Hammocks are one of mans great inventions. Europeans were introduced to them by Christopher Columbus who brought them back from what we know as the Bahamas.
  • Friend-girl just asked me sit in her lap. Eew I said, No way- that is just wrong. Can I sit in yours then? She asked. So we sat there that way for awhile.
  • A patient has what I would call moderate to severe psoriasis. She was prescribed one of the injectable drugs (Enbrel I think). It is an expensive and potentially dangerous drug. Without any drugs, her lesions clear up to almost nothing with swimming in chlorinated water, a little sun and light use of one of the old creams used to treat psoriasis.  People and doctors need to think more about what they want and why.
  • Ha, I just realized I misspelled Blogger as "Blooger" in the fifth thought above.
  • I've noticed a lot of obviously real and not made for decoration ship wheels in antique stores over the past few years. They must have filtered their way into the resale stream after being scavenged from fishing vessels destroyed by Katrina.

3 comments:

an Donalbane said...

You are correct not to sit in friend-girl's lap. That would be weird.

Had lunch today at the chicken place on Rosedale, but I unfortunately went cheap and ordered their CFS, which was a standard foodservice grade breaded patty. Ho-hum. Will have to try actual chicken or seafood another time.

I liked the sign on their door.

el chupacabra said...

Ha, when I told you about it I thought you would dig their Glockenspiel reference!

Yep, get their chicken or catfish- very good for the moolah.

an Donalbane said...

I know the post isn't about Bois d'Arc/Bodark/Osage Orange, but it reminded me of going up north of the Red River a few years ago to a Mountain Man Rendezvous.

There was a guy there selling handmade longbows made of the wood - he said it was one of the best materials for bows. Not souvenir, kitschy, buy-something-for-the-kid kinda bows, but starting at $150 and going up from there. What fascinated me was that he had a total command of the art - he wasn't a 'whittler' - he had a master's degree in tree botany, knew the wood on a cellular level and how the grain structure affected usability, which pieces would work for bows and which wouldn't, and exactly how the stick had to be cut, shaved and sanded to perform accurately.