Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday's Missives

The Food Shark truck in Marfa. Where my next road trip may end after getting a tasty Fat Ho Burger in Waco. I hear it's tumultuous.





  • ABC Brian Ross Investigates has done a story on the US Soldiers accused of murdering Afghan civilians. I'll watch it, but really not too enthused about it. It's heartbreaking for both sides, but the thing that stands out to me is how did they take something (their war) that would have defined them in such a positive way for the rest of their lives and turn it into life sentences and dishonorable discharges?



  • One of the aspects of this case that has stood out to a lot of people is their reported drug abuse. This answer is easy- they're human in an environment that vacillates between terror and tedium. I never did it while I was downrange, but plenty of guys did. I can still recall the first time I realised guys from another platoon were hungover from alcohol their families sent them. It was kind of a shock as I personally could not comprehend voluntarily doing something that could so dramatically contribute to my getting killed- much less increase my suck factor. I mean really, a hangover in 130 degree heat while carrying 60 plus pounds of armor, gear and weapons?


  • Thanks, but no thanks.



  • Last night Zachary and I tagged along with a friend bow fishing. We did not see a single fish. This morning I went to the same place and the water was thick with them. You didn't need a bow or a rod and reel- all you'd need were waders and a pitchfork.



  • That's how the carp laughs at you.


  • Weird: a couple of weeks ago during the last cold spell a sandstorm moved through here about 5:00 in the morning. The sound of it pinging against the windows woke me up and made me think a sleet storm was the cause. Sand is still piled up in corners of the building.

  • Norah Jones sings I Don't Know Y on Sesame Street.





1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Not much of a fan of the Brian Ross - seems way too smarmy to me.