Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday's Missives

Zac playing with a toy excavator that was mine when I was little. It's been floating around the yard of the house I grew up in for 35-40 years. The string Zac is holding is part of a fairly complex series of cables and pulleys that allowed it to function like a real one. Teaching him how to play with it I was a little boy again for a second- bursting into tears when mom would put me off about restringing it so it would work- "I've got to make lunch!" she'd say "But, Mama Pleeeeeease!" I'd say,"Pretty please with sugar on top!" I'd add in moments of desperation. Worked every time- "Oh, good grief!" she'd say as she grabbed the butter knife she knew she'd need to straighten out the rats nest of string wrapped around the pulleys.



  • Always cool: I took pictures of a couple of my pistolas recently- to show a girl.


  • After she showed me hers.


  • I want to to the college libraries where I've attended and see my picture in the annuals.

  • Huntingtons Chorea- terrible disease. Thankfully, I've only cared for two patients in my career.

  • I don't like any medication that makes me sleep- makes me feel helpless/powerless.

  • Of my mom someone said,"She did the best she could with what she had." Don't guess you could ask for more from a person and now I get that.

  • I didn't feel well the other day and I left my sisters house without saying bye to my brother in law and I still fell feel badly about it. He's a rock for a lot of people I think.

  • Inception looks fantastic and since Dicaprio is in it you know it will be good.

  • Sorry if you know and care about me, but the Beemer is as comfortable at 120 mph as it is at 50 mph.

  • Like I said- if you know me...

6 comments:

Silicone Alley said...

This pregnancy has not been letting me sleep. I would love to be able to take some sleeping pills.

an Donalbane said...

I think I had some kind of steamshovel thing like that.

"Buddy L", I think.

Not sure what happened to mine.

So, did you have bigger pistolas than the girl? (She didn't use that line from Three Amigos about needing "a man's gun, not a little sissy gun!" I hope...) Good gamesmanship points for the gambit of making her show you hers first, even if we are talking about pistolas. ;-)

We were in Denton (NTSU) yesterday when my daughter asked me if we could stop by Cabela's on the way home.

"Sure, honey." (I always like going to Cabela's.)

After we were inside, I realized I'd been played - she had a handful of gallery tokens from the hostess from our last foray, and wanted to use them in the shooting gallery. So we spent 15-20 minutes channeling Indiana Jones and shooting the snakes, monkeys, and alligators. And making the lights flash on the Land Rover.

After we were done, she asked: "Daddy, when can we go again to the real shooting range?" (She's a fine shot with a .22 on the falling plates.)

I love that girl!

an Donalbane said...

This link from Spooner reminded me of the pics you've posted of Zac.

http://explosiveamnesia.blogspot.com/2010/08/mom-help-funny-gifs-by-senor-gif.html

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

el chupacabra said...

Anon1 you're very welcome.

Anonymous said...

0, tetracycline,