Friday, January 9, 2009

Fridays Dispatch






  • In a kind of bad neighborhood near a patients house the other day I was sitting in a restaurant and saw a homeless, female crackhead stagger in eating a banana.
  • Mmm, I never thought of that one before- bring your own food to a restaurant.
  • Where on earth did she get that banana anyway?
  • I reduced a fellow human being to a "homeless female crackhead."
  • Some people might say,"How could you know all that about her anyway?"
  • Believe me, whether it's right or wrong to look at people that way- I'm right in my assessment.
  • At Sonic one night a guys truck had Just Married on the back window and I Do- what she says on the side window.
  • He was alone and wasn't wearing a wedding band.
  • I worked on Halloween night last year. My patient said,"What are you dressed up as?" Without missing a beat I said,"A naughty nurse?".
  • The day nurse helped her make goody bags to be handed out. I took it a step further and asked a couple of nice looking families to come in to the bedside and let her hand out the treats. It was the last time she got to do that- she died only a few days later.
  • None of us will forget that.
  • I knew a guy once who when his divorce was final tied a bunch cans and shoes to his bumper and wrote Just Divorced on his back window and drove around town.
  • Maybe I'm the strange one but, I've never been big on celebrating personal failure.
  • I dreamed last night I was a prison guard in a 1920s Texas Prison. It was very realistic and seemed to go on for hours.
  • That would probably be like being a guard in hell.
  • The rule was once blood was drawn in a whipping the guard had to stop so some prisoners when they knew a beating was coming would use a razor to to cut their buttocks open.
  • They had rules for whipping another human being.
  • Read The Meanest Man In Texas; it's out of print but, there were tons of copies made.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE MEANEST MAN IN TEXAS is not out of print. See www.quarrypress.books.com

Kathleen... said...

I LOVE that invitation -- gold!