Tuesday, January 20, 2009

20th Century Martyr

Westminster Abbey 20th Century Martyrs- MLK second figure from left

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." from the I Have A Dream Speech
"And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." From the I've Been To The Mountaintop speech- his last.
"Ben, make sure you play Take My Hand, Precious Lord in the meeting tonight. Play it real pretty." Final words according to Jesse Jackson
The bullet that ended Kings life entered his right cheek descended along his spinal cord and came to rest near his shoulder. The autopsy reportedly revealed the heart of a sixty year old man.
He was thirty nine.

No comments: