Thursday, October 12, 2017

Thursday's Thoughts


  • As a guy in a female dominated occupation I have to put up with subtle forms of what would be called sexual harassment if I were a female.
  • It might be hard to believe but no lie-I honestly had a long ago female supervisor hint that things could go better for me if I put out to her.
  • So what got this subject started? Where I work a girl and I were occupying the same space between filing cabinets. I was turned away from her when she entered the area. I knew I was the one in the way so with my back still turned to her I sidestepped moving accidentally directly in her way. She reflexively put her hand out to let me know she was there by touching my side. When she did so she touched my little muffin top. I made a joke about it. She said, That's okay- I like a guy with a little curves!
  • It was okay. It was really okay. It was funny and mildly flattering. I laughed. She laughed. People who overheard it laughed. I have to ask though- what if the shoe was on the other foot? There is no chance I would have gotten out of it without an official counseling statement in my file and there's every chance I could have lost my job over it.
    When I was a boy I was fascinated with crushed cars being hauled on a flatbed. I would watch mesmerized and beg my dad to slow down or catch up to them so I could gawk.
  • Since buying my phone I have not touched my relatively expensive snapshot camera, my very expensive SLR camera or my tablet and my expensive, powerful laptop has only been used to watch movies and store pictures.
  • There are few things worse in this world to me than having to stay in a job that I literally hate.
  • Recently someone took note of a self portrait sketch I did of myself that I have on my bulletin board in my office. She asked about it and asked if I had done it myself. I told her that I had and then I asked her if she had a similar  artistic outlet while just knowing that she did. She lied and said that she did not draw, that she didn't have much talent in general and didn't do anything like that etc. Later I found out that she was actually pretty good at drawing- good enough that she would get asked to do things for people- to make sketches for presentations, flyers and invitations and so on.
  • I know that people lie. I know they will lie when the truth would fit better but I simply cannot comprehend the purpose of her lying like that.
    Sweet tea I bought impulsively. It has been way less than 24 hours and I'm about to pour another large glass...
  • The use of someone and somebody in a sentence by me is always and absolutely a shot in the dark (including the above).
  • For that matter- now that I look back at it- I think I got it wrong up there.

No comments: