Monday, August 10, 2009

Mondays Mostly Musical Missives With A Mass Media Misgiving






  • There was a television going in my patients room the night Drew Peterson was arrested for the murder of his wife. The news came out early, was pervasive and was the top story literally until I walked out the door. Nearly everyone I've spoken to since has mentioned the case.


  • Why? Who cares besides family, friends etc.? And if they do- again, why?


  • Earlier my son was listening to Ozzy Ozbornes Crazy Train. Yesterday when working on the neighbors riding mower her son was listening to Iron Man.


  • There's hope for this world after all.


  • Never understood why Bush was never more popular than they were or why the wave they were on crested in the 90s and they sort of tailed off. Even stranger (to me at least) they were from England but, never were very popular there. They broke up in 2002 but, Gavin Rossdale has been hinting at a reunion.


  • Just picture my old butt waving a cigarette lighter to Glycerine and jumping around to Machinehead.


  • Probably don't want to picture it too long though.


  • Chevelle is one of my all time favorite bands but, oddly I don't own a single cd of theirs or have any of their music on my laptop.


  • Hank Williams, Ralph Stanley, Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs and Bill Monroe all stop me dead in my tracks whenever I hear anything of theirs and when I'm in the mood and put their music on I don't do or think about anything else.


  • A cousin to Lester Flatt was one of my professors in college.


  • One of the best live shows I've ever been to is still Meatloafs. He did songs from both Bat Outta Hell and Bad Attitude.


  • Meatloaf was born and raised in Dallas TX but, oddly was and is still way more popular in England.
  • No, he didn't play Lumpy on Leave It To beaver.


  • I have at least 10 musical instrument in my house and I can't play a single one though I'll randomly pick one up occasionally and mess around with it.


  • Was pretty good at the trombone in school though and keep daring myself to take it back up.


  • Craig's Music in Weatherford TX is about 12 minutes from my house, has some great live music acts very often and I never been and I don't know why.


  • I know someone whose servers at their job has over 250,000 songs on it for consumption by employees. Another guy has over 3000 full length movies on his.


  • Didn't know there were that many of either anywhere.


  • Actually I did of course but, man that would be cool to have access to that kind of free, safe music and movies.

  • Some music that I like but, a little goes a long way with me: Bluegrass, Techno and just a little Hip Hop.
  • Synthesizer by Electronic Six- still such a great techno song don't care when it gets lodged in my brain for hours on end.
  • My neighbor was in a band with Roy Orbisons son Wes Orbison but, he died before they could take off with it- one more reason his death was so sad.
  • Toadies: great rock music by Texans who lost themselves somewhere- terrible after their comeback, sorry to say.
  • Dred Zeppelin: Led Zep songs to a reggae beat sung by an Elvis impersonator- genius.
  • Fats Domino singing Blueberry Hill and Ain't That a Shame. BB King Singing The Thrill Is Gone and Hank Williams The Lost Highway all make my hair stand on end like no other and I'll let you guess which is the most nearly autobiographical.




8 comments:

Ada said...

I have a little baby crush on Gavin.

Not a fan of techno or hard heavy metal. Other than that I like it all.

more importantly...did Meatloaf do "I'd do anything for love"?

Anonymous said...

Me loves me some Toadies. Occasionally XM radio plays Possum Kingdom as a one-hit wonder. I always thought Tyler was their best.

el chupacabra said...

ada- anything for love- but, not that? o yes he did!

"And I would do anything for love
I'd run right into hell and back
I would do anything for love
I'd never lie to you and that's a fact
But I'll never forget the way you feel right now,
Oh no, no way
And I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
No, I won't do that

Anything for love
Oh, I would do anything for love
I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
No, I won't do that"

an0 11:30- yes they sometimes use PK as a one hit wonder reference- sorely vexing. with you on tyler.

el chupacabra said...

ps- Away got/gets WAY more airplay. at least here. so kind of does away with the one hit wonder thought- if you ask me.

MarmiteToasty said...

Meatloaf does seem to be big over here, thats meatloaf the man NOT that chewed up meat cake thingie that doodles love :)

Johnny Cash music was heard coming from my punk rocker sons bedroom, I thought maybe he was poorly, but upon investigation he said he really likes the Johnny Cash CD, wonders will never cease..

My lads have 'livewire' on our computers which is some music download thingie, its all beyond me this technology though..

I will say though many of your doodle music bands etc that I read about on blobs, we have never heard of.... I expect it goes the same for some of our British bands and of your hearing of them....

This house is almost always overflowing with music on one kind or another, many cos having drummer sons, band practise is often here cos its easier to leave the drumkit set up :)

As much as I crave peace sometimes, I know I will miss the noise oneday, I dont want that day to come..

x

YM said...

Yes, I would agree that one must be in the mood for Bluegrass to listen to it. I had it forced down my throat for a good while and mostly find the high lonesome highly annoying, but I do like some of it.

Saw Bush once a long time ago (96 or 97?) at Rock Fest. No Doubt was there too, I think it must be right around the time Rossdale and Stefani met.

There's live music at the Railhead Smokehouse in Willow Park too. I've gone a couple of times.

el chupacabra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarmiteToasty said...

LOL@chupa..... you deleted your post.......

Jebus, the post SOOooooo made me laff this morning, so I thank you for that :)

x