Thursday, April 12, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts

Earbud set we were issued for listening to training modules during compliance and ethics training week. It may just be me-but that motto seems vaguely threatening and definitely not reassuring.

  • When I was a boy I would save my money to buy Hot Rod magazine subscriptions. My brother who was really looking out for me and wanted to see me be a better or more sophisticated person I suppose or whatever got me a subscription to Car and Driver.
  • What is a dream car of yours that would surprise people?
  • The Caddy Escala is beautiful and amazing and is now also on my list of dream cars.
    I mixed this with some Ramen type noodles. It sustained life and nothing worse happened to me the rest of the day I suppose 
  • I've mentioned dodging a bullet regarding an old girlfriend who left me before things could get serious enough to get married. I've also mentioned that a mutual friend saw her once years later and told me about how beat up and bad-looking the same ex was and how she didn't age well and all of that. Friend must have saw the ex on a bad day or been mistaken or was trying to make me feel better. Ex looks great and is still super pretty and in fact- she's nearly 50 years old and probably looks better than she did when we were together.
    I always liked this guy- he seemed like a pretty good ole boy. We called him The Breeze. It was a nickname within a very tight circle so I presume it didn't catch on at all otherwise. He got the name based on a Lynyrd Skynyrd song. His obituary reported his official nickname being Pop A Top. I think the obit said he was 52.
  • My son texted me last night with pictures of an immature red tailed hawk. He says he sees it every night near his hotel where he is working out of state. Interestingly, he also told me that he sees them all the time nearly every day from the towers that he climbs. Even more interesting? He said he sees them catching snakes all the time. I know that they specialize in hunting snakes but the crazy thing is he says more often than not he sees them with a snake and it was strange to see them not catch one.
    I spend a little more time hiking around Sunshine Lake than I have the past as I still love the outdoors but I can't get around to new and bigger places as well as I could in the past. There is always a ton of dead stuff around there. It may just be that is the way it is but I could also be convinced there is some type of super predator that has moved into the area that animals there are not ready to defend against. Yes- I know this animal may died of a heart attack and been eaten by possums but I see remains in the same general area around there all the time.
  • Recently I created a word from a combination of 2 company names that could absolutely merge together. The crazy thing? That word is not already a registered trademark or web domain name. I'm not saying I'm definitely going to- but I might buy it.
  • Explorer based cop cars look really cool. That is something I thought I would never say.
    Very oddly uniform patterns on this fresh beaver dam work. Honestly I am not sure of the how and why it came out like that.


    You can tell the deer track to the left is at most hours old by the loose material surrounding it and the sharply defined appearance. The dog track to the right is at least a day old but probably not much older.
    Tracks in the mud especially if the animal is running will be distorted making the print look easily two to three times the size of the animals actual foot. 


  • Unless my recall is incorrect- when I was a kid Pepsi was sort of an off-brand soda and you could buy them a lot cheaper than Coca-Cola.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

My project car would be a 1949 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe Fastback, with a cool two-tone livery. I'd use quality modern tech to upgrade the suspension and running gear/exterior, and go with mainly wood, wool, leather and natural materials for the interior resto.

The Escala looks awesome. Cadillac should come out with a Junior Bonner edition with longhorns on it. No, his didn't have any, but you know he wanted them. He probably totally envied Bronco Billy's 1960 Super 88.

Even though I've been somewhat an aficionado of meat-by-products-in-a-can, and sardines (preferably in mustard sauce), I've not often occasioned myself to eat the Spam or Treet. Even though I no longer frequently consume such products, I keep a few on hand in case of zombie attack. I used to sometimes buy grocery store grade caviar, but haven't done that in a long time.

Once in a while I refer to a guy at work as 'The Breeze', due to his affinity for LS. Like your buddy, he goes by [another] nickname, and only a couple of people at work know his given name. When only a couple of people are present, I'll address him by his Christian name, and he invariably proffers an a$$ kicking. He's OK with 'The Breeze' reference, though. Whenever he faux-threatens me, I feign contrition and say "Gimme three steps, Mister..." Yeah it's a bit...for both of us.

As a kid, I thought of Pepsi and Coke on equal footing. I perceived RC and Shasta as being the second-tier brands.