Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday's Missives


I've waited for years to have the chance at a sunburst with a jet contrail coming into it.


Harvester ants were everywhere- a good sign. We didn't see any but horned lizards love eating these guys

From Dinosaur World, a privately owned venture near the park.









Prevent tree loss- quit putting up signs every 50 feet.

Was kidding about the last quip- their signage is probably appropriate and beneficial. Here a probably young, new to the area beaver had a snack.

Would like to have a better image to show but this one is interesting in its own right. This thing was a crazy shade of red and his pincers sort of a tiger striped pattern. I've never seen one quite like it.

Big Agnes


Pavilion overlooking Paluxy river. Wall this bad boy up and I'd be good to go.


Raaaaaar!

I know who to call when I have some winching work to do that needs to be well lit.

Zac got mad at me

We interrupted a squirrels lunch. When I turned my back Zac started chowing down. Do squirrels have cooties?
For some reason this sign made me laugh.



From trucks placed in front of Rio Brazos restaurant




  • We just got back from Dinosaur Valley State Park. If it is still there after Zac and I got through with it ask for site #39 when you visit- it is very nice and well sited for cold or hot weather. It is also near the little playground and close but not too close to the bathrooms.
  • Something I had to have known but forgotten- people used to dig the fossil tracks up from the Paluxy and sell them on the roadside for garden focal points and other landscaping. In some places all you can see are the holes the tracks were dug out from.
  • Paluxy comes from Biloxi a Siouan tribe/language.
  • There is a ban on gathering firewood for the campsites.  The motto is something to the affect, It may appear dead but inside- there is life! That is true, insects depend on the wood and animals depend on the insects but in a 1500 acre park there is plenty of rotten wood for the termites to eat and there is no way people would clean out the whole park of dead wood. My guess is if picking up dead wood was allowed there would be a very predictable area cleaned away from the sites- probably about a 100 meters out from each as people would only go so far away from the sites. As it is now there are tinderbox situations of fuel right where people are allowed to make fires. Also, by bringing in wood from outside there is an increased chance outside pests could be brought into the parks.
  • A bit of interesting legalese: nudity is defined on a woman's upper body as the breast being visible from the upper part of the areola down- unless she is nursing.
  • I wonder why we are so hung up on that anyway? It seems odd to me, especially on beaches.
  • We met a couple from the Netherlands. 
  • There is a store out that way- a typical We sell cigs, wine and BEER! store called something like BUBBA'S. I wondered, did that guy when he was growing up in a Lahore Pakistan slum ever dream he would be selling Keystone Light to the yocals along FM 51 in Nowhereville Texas?
  • I do not care if there are eleventy billion examples living in the world of the species Bear Grylls eats on his show, every time he does so it  is a waste and that is shameful.
  • The lady who runs the souvenir shop is I think 88 years old and has been there for 19 years. She took a one month break when she had a heart attack. She is very sweet and it was oddly funny to me for some reason to hear her correctly pronounce complex dinosaur names.
  • I'm sure the person I asked to not read the blob has not been back. It was not too much to ask in my opinion anyway but yeah, my respect level has gone up at least 2 and maybe 3 notches for her. I'm really surprised at the amount of respect I'm assuming she was showing by honoring my request.
  • The big dinos on display out front of the DSVSP gift shop are in sorry shape.
  • Big Agnes performed admirably. It only took 10 minutes- maybe to put her up. Like any other tent buy the size larger than you need (as long as your not backpacking) and get it when on sale from Campmor. Every order over 49 bucks is free shipping. Buy a tarp to place under the floor. It will be cheaper by a fourth than a footprint, save the floor just the same and be comfortable to walk on.
  • The best thing about camping may be coming home and after some delicious Panda Express falling out of a hot tub into a bed with clean sheets.
  • Good night world. I love you in spite of yourself.

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Great trip. And I agree, the best part is bathing and sleeping in clean sheets again.

Zac is growing into quite a young man. He is lucky to have a dad who takes him places like that and takes him camping.

an Donalbane said...

OK, I'll be the first of your lowbrow readers to say - "Heh-heh, he said beaver snack."

Rio Brazos 'monument' - "And that, kids, is how little trucks are made."

Well, that, or maybe the owner is an Aerosmith fan...

el chupacabra said...

Lady O- Thanks. I've said it before- your opinion seems to mean a lot to me.

Hey Don- Oh wow, I had an odd gnawing feeling those truck reminded me of something- the Aerosmith cover is it- Pumped, right?